Positioning of instruments

On an original RHD TR4A the ammeter and fuel gauge are on the right of the central instrument cluster and are obscured from direct view by the driver's left hand at 10 o'clock. The arguably more critical oil pressure and water temperature gauges to the left are always clearly visible without the need for a driver to move their head. I used to think this showed Triumph designers had put some thought into the matter. However, the illustrations on page 4 of the 4A owners handbook show that the disposition of these four instruments is unchanged on LHD cars, in which the driver's right hand at 2 o'clock will normally obscure the water temp and oil pressure gauges. Strangely these illustrations show that the positions of the speedometer and tachometer are reversed on LHD cars - go figure.

It seems the happy arrangement on my car is simply serendipitous and no credit should be ascribed to the design team.

I wonder if any LHD car owners have swapped these four instruments over to make the more important ones immediately visible.

Tim

Hi

I have always thought that although very useful the oil gauge should be backed up with a warning light clearly visible to the driver as by the time you see the gauge at zero its too bl--dy late, pity I havent got round to fitting one yet, whenever out with the lady wife I tell her those two gauges are her concern as I am to busy doing everthing else..

Phil..

Edited by lynchpin

post-5998-0-39098400-1524409825_thumb.jpg

Hi Tim - I've got an original LHD 4A. The only difference from original on my gauges is the that the two lower instruments of the four (temp and charging indicators) were "switched" by my garage here in London when I had the new dash installed. Otherwise, what you see is what you got in the US in 1966. Someday I'll "right" it but can't be fussed at the moment - I can see everything fine.

Ron

Mine are as original: Fuel and Ammeter (unused) on the right, and Oil and Temp on the left (plus rev counter on left, speedo on right). I can see the two left ones with just a quick tilt of the head, so it's not a big deal. Having said that, I'd certainly agree that it would be better to swap them.

I personally prefer the rev counter on the left, as it is then easier to see the needle as it approaches (passes!) the red line.

:ph34r:

Similarly, with the speedo on the right, you can keep an eye on the 30mph/40mph marks more easily - most frequently needed.

Mike

Ron, your picture shows that someone, maybe not your garage, has at some point also switched the oil pressure and fuel gauges from their original positions on a LHD car as built. You have the ideal set up in my opinion, only a particularly anal (aren't they all) concours judge would pick it up!

Phil - funnily enough I have had the same thought as you and have actually had an ideal warning light in stock for 30+ years without ever getting around to fitting it! I think that even if you are not consciously scanning the oil pressure gauge every few seconds you are somehow aware of the reading in your peripheral vision. Fortunately the last two times I have suffered sudden major oil loss due to a failed oil cooler hose or matrix I have spotted the falling needle in time to avoid any damage.

Tim

Tim,

After suffering a sheared oil pump drive at speed on a previous TR, I have fitted an oil pressure switch and a warning light, but came to the conclusion that unless the light was very large and bright, and directly in front of me, I might miss it. So the circuit also includes a very loud buzzer.

To avoid the buzzer sounding when the ignition is first switched on, before starting, I also installed a 10 second circuit activation delay on the buzzer.

Mike

Sounds like you've got it covered Mike! One reason that I haven't fitted my light is that for it to be most obvious it would need to be on the fascia right in front of me and I did not want to drill another hole in my nice dash!

Tim