Clunk from RHF suspension

First decent drive of the year yesterday evening.

However as the car got warmer, there seemed to be a clunk coming from the right hand front suspension area every time I went over a fairly small undulation in the road.

At our destination, I prodded, poked and inspected the front end, but could not hear and sound (even kicking the tyre didnt throw anything up)

Im going to have a proper wheels off investigation tomorrow before I chance drive it day, but does anyone have any obvious or not so obvious suggestions what I should be looking for?

Thanks all.

Simon

Before you take the wheel off, when it's jacked up, grasp top and bottom of wheel/tyre and see if any play exists in all planes. Could the nut on the stub axle be a little loose?

Let us know how you get on.

Austin

Well,

Had the wheels off yesterday in preparation for Drive it day today.

Couldn't find anything loose or damaged and no amount of shaking would get it to rattle. Took it to drive it day and bugger me, it started again.

It was happening intermittently, for a few miles it was clunking away and then for no reason it would stop. While it was making the noise, I pulled over and bounced up and down on the front right hand wing....clunk, clunk.

I continued to our destination, but when I tried to show another owner the noise, it wouldn't bloody do it!

Anyway, I've decided the front bushes have been in there long enough (rebuild in 1995) so it's about time the front end was refreshed so will be ordering new wishbone bushes and new bushes for the trunnion as well. When it's fully stripped down, hopefully I will find the issue.

Any recommendations as far as bushes go? comfort rather than firmness is my goal at my age...........

Simon

Hi Simon,

I hope you find the source of the clunk soon as this can be very irritating. I had a similar issue with my TR6 which turned out to be the top ball joints on the front suspension. The OE joint has the provision to lubricate them via a nipple. I noticed that not all of the replacements have the nipple with others perhaps 'sealed for life'. I purchased a pair from Revington TR and have to say they have been great. The clunk has also now gone from my car.

I would also endorse Roger's comments regarding the SuperPro bushes which are very good and IMHO worth the premium.

Good luck, Peter