Daft Questions on Trailing Arms

Evening All

Got some daft questions arising from renovating my trailing arms:

1. Having soaked the hub studs in penetrating oil for a week or so, all the old studs were successfully removed without stripping any threads ( hooray) and new studs acquired - however like a fool, I didn't pay a lot of attention ( well any actually) to which way round the stud threads into the T/A - the studs have 5/16 UNF threads both ends with a plain bit in the middle but one end has threads half as long as the other end - if I put the short end in the trailing arm, all the thread disappears when I tighten it in ( very gingerly) - is this the correct end to go in the T/A or should I use the longer threaded end so it screws all the way into the bottom of the tapped hole and tighten against that?

2. I believe the max torque to be used on reassembling the nuts on the studs is 16 lbs/ft - is that also the torque to be applied when installing the studs on their own?

3. When I have gone to my box of 5/16 Nylocs, I find I have some with white nylon inserts and some with blue inserts - the blue ones are very slightly less in height/depth than the white ones - is there a protocol for the colour of nyloc inserts, or is it just different manufacturers - if there is a protocol or whatever, which ones should I be using or does it not matter.

Any help much appreciated - memo to self to take even more photos when dismantling to aid remantling!

Cheers

Rich

Evening All

Got some daft questions arising from renovating my trailing arms:

1. Having soaked the hub studs in penetrating oil for a week or so, all the old studs were successfully removed without stripping any threads ( hooray) and new studs acquired - however like a fool, I didn't pay a lot of attention ( well any actually) to which way round the stud threads into the T/A - the studs have 5/16 UNF threads both ends with a plain bit in the middle but one end has threads half as long as the other end -

If I put the short end in the trailing arm, That is the correct way

all the thread disappears when I tighten it in ( very gingerly) - is this the correct end to go in the T/A or should I use the longer threaded end so it screws all the way into the bottom of the tapped hole and tighten against that?

NO NO NO if you screw ANY stud ANYWHERE on the car (head studs included) into a blind hole when the stud hits the end it immediately binds and puts pressure on the thread root if you turn it hard enough ...it strips it.

2. I believe the max torque to be used on reassembling the nuts on the studs is 16 lbs/ft - is that also the torque to be applied when installing the studs on their own?

Lock two 5/16th plain nuts against one another on the long threaded side and using a spanner on the top nut just wind the stud into the hole, when you feel increased resistance because the thread has reached the end...stop.

3. When I have gone to my box of 5/16 Nylocs, I find I have some with white nylon inserts and some with blue inserts - the blue ones are very slightly less in height/depth than the white ones - is there a protocol for the colour of nyloc inserts, or is it just different manufacturers - if there is a protocol or whatever, which ones should I be using or does it not matter.

Refer to Nials reply which is I believe is correct, the nuts should wind easily by hand onto the studs up to the nyloc material.

Any help much appreciated - memo to self to take even more photos when dismantling to aid remantling! Always a good idea.

Cheers

Rich

Guys

Thanks for your swift and helpful responses - more by luck than judgement, I have done them the right way round so don't have to undo anything ( I assembled the studs in the T/As with Copper grease - I take it hats OK?)

As for the Nylocs, I hadn't tried fitting the blue insert ones onto the studs, but now I know, it's obvious!

Thanks again

Cheers

Rich

Morning Rich, every day is a School Day !

I learnt something too...

The sun is out, are you on your travels soon....

Cheers,

Conrad.

Morning Rich, every day is a School Day !

I learnt something too...

The sun is out, are you on your travels soon....

Cheers,

Conrad.

Conrad - it's always good to learn - the problem I have these days is trying to remember what I learnt - I can remember I learnt something but I'm buggered if I can remember what!

The sun is shining hooray - am I supposed to be going somewhere.............?!!! Soon maybe

cheers

Rich