TR4 Oil Capacity

Off on a run for a couple of days so thought I would change the oil. In have changed bit twice since buying it a couple of years ago.Each time the amount of oil that I have added has been a fair bit less than what I find in the reference books; they seem to think the volume is around 11 pints but each time I have added less than a gallon (8pts) from a new tin. This brings the level up to the second mark on the dip stick. I did not change the filter this time (Mahle OC 38) but would not make much difference.Anyone else found at they add less than a gallon to fill from dry?

In do release that the dip stick could be a significant variable here and I could measure it a little later.

The oil pressure was just the same at 60lbs, hot.

Used Millers 20/50 this time and got 10% off when mentioning the club...also got several filters and plugs from Opie oils, good bunch.

Looking forward to covering a few hundred miles of the south of Scotland roads

over the weekend including drive it day on Sunday at Dalemain.

John S

Hi John

When I had my 4A and did its first oil change in my ownership, I left a 5 litre can under the sump for it to drain into, and when I returned to the garage and looked again, it was all overflowing onto the garage floor.................. It definitely held a lot more than 5 litres, and it took more than 5 litres to refill. I believed what it says in the workshop manual after that experience, maybe I should have read the instructions first, but not much fun in that (nor cleaning up old engine oil for that matter)

Ian

Hi John

I did an oil change yesterday. Fully drained hot. Filter changed. Full length K and N filter filter fitted.

One gallon poured in. Cranked and started and ran for few mins on the level ramp.

Allowed to drain down and dipped. The oil level was exactly midway between the lower and upper marks on the dipstick.

Perfect

Regards

Rog

Don't forget, 11 US pints is equal to approx. 9 UK pints. I would imagine a lot of the literature for TRs was aimed at the US market.

Cheers

Graeme

HI, I generally buy two 5 ltr cans and use the remainder as top up for the year, although I fixed most of the oil leaks now so have a bit left over. I'd say my TR4 holds about 8 pints easily.

Mark

We have for over 40 years used a knackered TR2 sump as an oil drain tray. - The sump has a severe bend in the baffle tray because of a con rod letting go. As you have spotted a standard 5 litre oil drain tray made from a butchered oil can is too small.

Rule of thumb was 2 imperial gallons (16 pints) of green 20/50 from local motor factor (take your own cans and 30 bob) would service the TR engine and the gearbox. Filter, points, plugs and condenser from that bloke Buckles in Mitcham who sold stuff on Saturday afternoons from his garage. There would be some oil left over to top up as required over the next 3000 miles. Usage 10-11 pints in sump, 3-4 pints in gearbox (with o/d).

Mix old oil with creosote and paint the garden fence......

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Must be the time of year, did mine last week. Changed the standard filter as well and put in 5 litres (8.8 imp pints) of Halfords finest and the level was 1/3 up from the low level mark which is where I like it. I guess another 1 litre ( 1.75 pints) would have brought it up to the max level. I find it uses and looses far less oil having it at this level with no change of pressure. Just back from 400 miles around Northern France and got 30mpg driving quite hard which I am pretty happy about although I think it is running a bit rich as there is a bit of a petrol smell if the wind is in the wrong direction so I will give the jets half a turn in. The new suspension made the trip amazingly comfortable.

Simon