I have experienced a problem new to me and I am wondering if any one else has had this problem?

The triangular box under the dash. labeled an Anti Torque strap in the moss catalogue, page 211 part 104, has fractured.

This the small section on the bulkhead that supports the steering column and to which the column stays are bolted to.

I am told it is metal fatigue?

I am a "chunky" person but i do not use the steering wheel to lever myself in or out of the car. hence I am wondering how and why this small but vital piece breaks?

It is not shown in the original ST parts manual considered I guess as part of the bulkhead, but Moss do show it as a separate part implying that failure is common. In nearly 46 years of TR ownership I have never heard of or seen this before.

I would be interested in your views/experiences

Duncan

Hi Duncan, on the moss site , the Anti Torque strap is an H shaped Bracket, or am I looking at the wrong thing.

Cheers,

Conrad.

More like a box cut diagonally . Flat side of the box on top, two triangular sides. Fibre mat between column and top and stay bolted to RHS

I am trying to post a picture via a URL from Flickr but all I get is " you are not allowed to post from that Image extension" doh. used to use photobucket but they now charge. grrr.

The bracket that your on about fractures quite regularly, we see it a lot, it can be welded up or new ones used to be available from Revingtons.The one below was on a 6 that had been amateur converted from left to right hand drive, nice steering column hole!

Stuart.

post-3753-0-44883900-1524063219_thumb.jpg

Edited by stuart

Heritage had/have press tools to make it - it was an available spare part when I did the catalogues.

Blank tool is identical LH to RH steering fitment. The raise tool is the tooling that 'hands' the item.

Peter W

PS The Moss offering looks like laser cut blank in zintec double coated zinc steel. I like the fact they have pierced the attachment areas so it can be plug welded with a mig to replicate the original spot welds.

1.2 mm Zintec sheet costs about a tenner for 500mm square. You then spend an hour making a paper pattern and cutting/shaping the steel sheet. Charge your time at £25.00 per hour and the Moss one looks like a bargain.

I still agree I would rather pay a tenner for the thing......

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Heritage had/have press tools to make it - it was an available spare part when I did the catalogues.

Blank tool is identical LH to RH steering fitment. The raise tool is the tooling that 'hands' the item.

Peter W

Probably another they have "Lost"

Stuart.

These are available on ebay from time to time, if I have understood the part correctly, and i think the guy who makes these may even supply the big TR suppliers

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR4-TR5-TR6-Right-hand-drive-steering-column-conversion-bracket/253577189735?hash=item3b0a60d967:g:p8QAAOSwZo

Also a fair bit cheaper than Moss price quoted earlier

Cheers

Rich

These are available on ebay from time to time, if I have understood the part correctly, and i think the guy who makes these may even supply the big TR suppliers

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR4-TR5-TR6-Right-hand-drive-steering-column-conversion-bracket/253577189735?hash=item3b0a60d967:g:p8QAAOSwZo

Also a fair bit cheaper than Moss price quoted earlier

Cheers

Rich

Well spotted. That supplier does a nice range of items.

In the defense of the major suppliers.

If the maker sells at 20 on ebay then the big players are probably also paying that. (does that include VAT at 20%?)

Add the big sellers mark up of 12 to 32 including VAT and I suspect they are not 'racking it in' after tax, all their overheads and investment in the re-manufacture of parts and support/creation of sales tools like catalogues. - NB The Moss TR printed catalogues are still free - anyone having a TR and not having a printed catalogue is missing a trick.

Peter W

PS I still agree I would rather pay a tenner for the thing......

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Peter

I wasn't having a pot at major suppliers, but rather simply pointing out the availability of the item on ebay - in hindsight. perhaps I shouldn't have made the comment about price and left it to individuals to find out.

I fully understand the commitment the big guys make to the market and the costs involved in doing that - you mention the Moss Bible which is free, and which is an invaluable tool for any of us enthusiasts, but it certainly wasn't free for them - that has to be paid for somewhere!

cheers

Rich

Rich,

As I have stated the thing ought to be a tenner.

I can find numerous examples of product on ebay that are selling for less than the big players offer price. If I need those parts I go after the cheapest, IF it will satisfy the quality I require.

The big players do miss buying price improvements, and if I spot a worthwhile one I will tell the likes of Moss. When you have an inventory of 1000's of items is not an easy task to check, alternative vendor listings add further complexity. What is available at a better price is not always the right quality nor a continuous supply either. - think about the odd NOS item that pops up on ebay.

Cheers

Peter W