Spotted a leak/drip from the right hand side (offside) of the radiator today.

It needs a bit more investigation, but it looks like it is coming from the edge of the core on that side. The radiator is a repro unit (SC Parts I think) - fitted when the car was rebuilt ~8 years ago. I've already had to have the thing out to have the neck reinforced after it leaked there as soon as the car was back on the road (and it looks like it may be starting to weep at the base of the neck again).

I'm looking for thoughts on the best way forward;

1. Get this one repaired again, or

2. See if I still have the old one that was in the car before rebuild* and get that one re-cored/rebuilt, or

3. Just buy another new one

(* or if I haven't still got the previous radiator, buy an old one for refurb).

I would welcome views, and if the course of action is to buy a new one - who produces the best?

Thanks

Hi Rod.

I would take it out & find out exactly where it is leaking before making any decisions.

Repair may be the best way if you can see why it might have failed.

Bob.

The sc parts rad is very thinly built and the neck is very delicate

If you can recore your original

Tony

Hey Rod,

Use the original if you can. I had the original that came with my car re-cored, lost the crank hole and had brackets welded on the side for the extra electric fan.

So I ended up with a brand new radiator for about 250 CAD, around 150Sterling I think. Original material is always better then going the aluminum( Aluminium..) route.

Since then I never had to put the electric fan on, the cooling is just great.

Yves

I have an old unit TR2/3/3A/3B unit sat in the garage if you want an unit to recore at Guildford radiators - Charge is about GB £ 300.

Peter W

http://carradiatorsguildford.com/

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Yes,with hindsight I should have had the/an original re-cored during the rebuild rather than the repo unit (which is flimsy as you say Tony).

Peter - thanks for the offer of the old unit. I need to check what I have, and I'll be in touch.

Rod

Rod

I have swapped my rad in a 3a this spring due to weeping long neck and other issues.

I opted for no crank hole as I run elec fan anyway.

It is a refurbed original with 4 row element. Outright buy.

From here http://stores.ebay.co.uk/johns-radiator-shop

Who are Hereford radiators

http://www.herefordradiators.com

Less than £300 delivered on an offer.

Very pleased with it and coped well with the last castle Combe track day where I did 70+ fast pace reasonably high rev (despite the wet !!) track miles

Happy customer

H

Thanks for the further replies.

The Ebay supplier doesn't seem to have an early TR radiator at the moment, although I haven't contacted them to ask yet.

I have two old radiators amongst the bits and bobs I've acquired - one may be that taken out of the car during rebuild, I must admit I'm not sure.

I will take them both to Guildford radiators to see if either are re-corable (if that's a word).

Depending on what they say, I may need to talk about yours Peter.

• 4 weeks later...

More advice needed please.

The good folks at Guildford Radiators have made me a nice new unit from one of my old ones, without starter handle hole and up to date core. £300 inc VAT, and he gave me £25 for the second old scruffy unit.

I've taken the old radiator out this morning, and this is what I need advice on now:

I have a Kenlowe suction fan fitted and it seems that to get it off the old radiator will destroy the pull through fixings. I've looked on the Moss website and they don't seem to do Kenlowe any more - now Revotec. Are the fixings the same (as they do a kit for the Revotec), or should I seek a specific make/design? I also need the pull through fitting that the temperature probe goes into - again any guidance on where that might be sourced would be welcome.

Thanks

Actually there was a thread regards fans and I stated In Italy I have never had a fan even in traffic.

Thinking about this I have a recore which at the time I thought was pricey but thats probably one of the reasons I dont need a fan in my 5 even here.

Hi,

Do you mean those plastic things that hold the fan ( like zips). If so.....I don't think you should use those anyway, weld 4 little brackets on the side of the radiator to connect the fan. Looks pretty amateur to have parts fixed with plastic zips on a TR.

Yves

I didn't bother with the thermostat switch which came with my Kenlowe fan, I used a steel tube with a union for a thermostat switch instead of the basic TR one which is just a straight (well slightly bent) length of tube.

A much more elegant solution in my view.

Rgds Ian

Without causing any probs like reduced cooling efficiency? Might be a good thing to keep for emergencies thats all.

I have a peugot 205 with 430,000kms on the clock that has quite a lot of mayonnaise, might be worth a go to see if it settles that.

Yes, it really does work.

Edited by Rem18

I used K-Seal on my high mileage daily driver (Skoda Felicia) as an emergency fix for a bad leak in the core. Only needed 1/3 bottle and no further problems for the remaining 5 years or so that I had the car.