Hello All,

Having exhausted all other possibilities of the cause of a mis-fire on #6 cyl on my TR6, I intend to carry out a compression test.

Can anyone recommend a decent not overly expensive compression tester for the home mechanic?

Richard.

Hi Richard,

I have one you can borrow unless you need one permanently

Roger

Many thanks for the kind offer Roger, I may as well buy my own for future use, besides, I kinda need it right ASAP.

I have a good universal compression tester for diesels, though none of the adaptors fit.

Richard.

Just done this on mine using a Gunson tester. I'm not sure what it is like for a 4 cylinder engine but I found it necessary to move the distributor in order to gain sufficient access to pots 4 & 5

Just done this on mine using a Gunson tester. I'm not sure what it is like for a 4 cylinder engine but I found it necessary to move the distributor in order to gain sufficient access to pots 4 & 5

One with a flexible tube is probably better.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cht692-2-piece-compression-tester-kit/

Peter W

Yes, this is the one I have

One with a flexible tube is probably better.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cht692-2-piece-compression-tester-kit/

Peter W

The issue is not the flexible hose, it is the length of the brass fitting that screws into the plug hole. The Clarke version you linked to would be better in this regard.

*Off topic*

Good god, it's nice to see that name at the bottom of a post :)

+1

Nice to see you out and about on here Alec.

Good man Alec, keep making those posts and sharing the wisdom.

Mick Richards

Hi Richard,

try this https://www.machinemart.co.uk/categories/?search=compression%20tester

Or Ebay - I'm sure Sealy do one or Gunson

I would steer clear of the Draper stuff.

Roger

I used to rate the Draper Expert stuff but have recently had a problem convincing them of my interpretation of their lifetime guarantee - so I won't be buying any more.

Phil.

• 4 weeks later...

110? that's not good....with these numbers on all 6.....??

Compression is checked with a hot engine, throttle open. (remove all plugs!)

PI goes upto to 188...

Carburator about 130....

Jochem

Edited by JochemsTR

If accurate 110 would be low. Is the tester accurate'ish? (they are typically cheaply made and although give consistent readings may not be accurate)

Did you test with wide-open-throttle and was it cranking until the reading stabilised?

Unusual if all cylinders are similarly low, it is more common to have perhaps only one or two faulty cylinders lower than the rest. If all are similar perhaps you need to borrow a second tester for corroboration.

If the car starts and runs well suspect the readings may not be accurate.

Alan

I recently bought a Clark compression tester, Looks good, various fittings with screw in and push in. I started to suspect its accuracy when my son's 2000 Alfa showed around 140 and my TR around the same. I checked my compressions with another tester and they were all + 20-25 psi. Probably good to check the gauge with an airline.

Did you test with wide-open-throttle and was it cranking until the reading stabilised?

No good just cranking with the throttles opened, if its a carb'd car you need to have the air pistons held up also, bog roll centre tubes work well!

Your looking for even readings across the set, not necessarily high readings, none of the non professional gauges are calibrated. If they are low, and another gauge confirms, then really only a leak down test will identify the problem.

A wet test after the dry may help indicate if there is a bore problem.

Alan

Edited by oldtuckunder

The pressure gauge on a compression tester is the same type as most tyre pressure gauges, a Bourdon guage. So how accurate are those? This Australian survey inflated a tyre at service station and other outlets, where by law they should be calibrated regularly, and then tested the pressure in the tyre on a calibrated gauge. "Tyre guage Survey - RACQ" https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=1920&bih=949&ei=HLgHW5G6BarcgAbvl5LgAQ&q=Tyre+gauge+survey+-+RACQ&oq=Tyre+gauge+survey+-+RACQ&gs_l=psy-ab.12...379352.394268.0.396281.28.28.0.0.0.0.147.2012.27j1.28.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.20.1510...0j0i67k1j0i131k1j0i131i67k1j0i10k1j0i13k1j0i22i10i30k1j0i22i30k1j0i13i30k1j0i13i5i30k1j0i8i13i30k1j33i160k1j33i21k1j33i22i29i30k1.0.QukQ81ecXrQ

How did they do?

17 of the 52 sites tested were more than 5% inaccurate. The worst was 18% out.

On, say, 150psi that would read 123 (or 177!) psi.

And a compression test is more complex to do than a tyre pressure check

An ordinary, uncalibrated compression tester can only be used to compare the pressures across the block, not to answer the question, "is my compression as hgh as it should be?"

It could be used to compare two engines on the same day, at the same time, and if one is 'known-good' then a diagnosis made, but not at different times with diferent gauges.

JOhn

Edited by john.r.davies