Wiper wheelbox spindle seals.

Hello All,

I’ve recently found my wiper wheelboxes (37H6316) and after cleaning them up they look fine, with no play or worn teeth.

I notice that there is a space between the serrated bit, (Where the wiper arm fits) and the tube that goes down to the main part, and, looking at pictures of new wheelboxes I see that this space is filled by a rubber seal, which I guess is to stop water running down and causing corrosion.

I bet that the answer is “No”, but does anyone know if these seals are available?
It looks like they may be fitted in the manufacturing stage, before the serrated end is fitted (Peened over, or whatever.)

I wondered about “O” rings, but they would have to stretch a bit to fit over the serrated bit and still act as a seal below it.

The car is ’59 3a, by the way. I think the 3 and the 4 had the same, but they were a different design later (No obvious seal.)

Any ideas?

Charlie.

Some thin wall rubber tubing may do it but the amount it needs to stretch to get over the serrated section usually destroys it, the original seal was fitted when being assembled as you surmised. O ring probably wouldnt do the job.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

O rings can be cut to length and then superglued together at the cut ends, can you get to the o ring to do this when in position.?

Mick Richards

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Stuart,
I tend to agree that a tube would be destroyed, as it needs to be expanded so much to get over the serrated bit.

Roger,
I think heat shrink would be too hard. I did think of RTV, prodding it into the gap until it overflows and then wrapping it with some thin copper shim for 48 hours until it is properly set. Remove the shim and I might get a nice professional looking seal. I might also end up with the whole thing stuck solid… I guess if that happens I could put the serrated bit in a drill chuck and try to spin it free.

Mick,
Cut and shut “O” rings might work as well. I have to admit that the only thing I’ve ever found super-glue good at is sticking skin together. (I think it was designed for that.). The wheelboxes are on the bench at the moment, but even on the car the place where the seals go is accessible.

Ian, Ah… Wet leg syndrome. I think in my case it’s more to do with old age rather than leaking spindles.

Tom and Nigel,
That seems the easiest idea. I’ll get some “O” rings and give it a go. Maybe lubricated with some rubber friendly grease to help seal the spindle.

Thanks again for the replies.

Charlie