Quick one on Coolant Levels

Hi All,

Im currently on my Euro Road Trip in the new TR4A and really getting to know the car. One query I have though, is about the level of coolant.

Each leg of the trip is around a 3-4 hour drive. Some up mountains and some just flat long country roads. On the rest day between each leg I check the car over and Im finding Im losing some coolant. This is all out of the top of the overflow bottle. Ive seen it coming out when Im stopped somewhere with the engine still running.

I have been pouring about 60% of the full bottle back into the radiator and then having to top up with about half a litre of water too each time.

Now the engine temp has never gone over 90° and generally sits between 70° and 90° on the dash meter. My question is, am I over filling the system ? Do I actually need to keep adding the half litre ? I suspect that if I put the full contents of the overflow bottle into the radiator, there would be no reason to add anymore but I thought there was always supposed to be water in the bottle ?

Thanks for any advice. The rest of the trip is a bit easier going on the TR, as its all flat country roads now. However, the forecast is

for full sun and 24°, which is much warmer than it has been .... thankfully !

Andy

From cold you don't need any in the overflow bottle. When hot it fills, & if no leaks then when cold again it should have sucked it all back.

Bob.

Hi Andy,

you need enough fluid in the rad to cover the core. Do not fill to the top - leave about 1"

The pipe to the 'overflow' bottle should go to the bottom of the bottle. If not it may not syphon back

Start with apprx 1" of water in the bottle.

Have you got the correct rad cap. This is a dual action cap - it allows the 'expanded' fluid to escape to the bottle AND then suck it back when cooling down.

item #71 https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/cooling-system/radiators-hoses-fittings/radiator-fittings-tr2-4a.html

Roger

Cheers Gents,

It sounds as if Im over filling the system then as I have the bottle half full and the radiator right to the very top.

The radiator and cap are both brand new and fitted only a few months ago by the garage, so Im assuming its right. It certainly letting the overflow run into the bottle but Im not sure its sucking it back. The cap has a relief valve on top. Ill take a photo and post it up. The tube to the bottle does go right to the bottom.

Hi Andy,

relief vale on the top !!!

It should look like an ordinary rad cap from the top

If you look at the underside - the large diameter sit on the rad flange and does the normal sealing. In the centre there is a smaller valve that can be pulled in towards the rad core - this does the sucking.

Roger

Hi Andy,

relief vale on the top !!!

It should look like an ordinary rad cap from the top

If you look at the underside - the large diameter sit on the rad flange and does the normal sealing. In the centre there is a smaller valve that can be pulled in towards the rad core - this does the sucking.

Roger

Ill take a photo and post up.

Thanks

In normal use when cold you will find the radiator full to the neck. The overflow bottle should then be about 1/3 full with the overflow pipe reaching the bottom. The tube needs to be slash cut at the end or it risks sucking itself to the bottom of the bottle and not drawing coolant back into the radiator when it cools down. It does sound as though you have the wrong cap. If you look at the bottom of it you should see a small disk about 1/2 diameter that you can pull down against a spring. Thats the return valve. Just as Roger describes - sorry for the duplication.

Edited by peejay4A

That looks like a manual pressure release to avoid scalding when taking the cap off.

I think I can make out "7" on the cap 4 PSI would be normal (for a 2 / 3 anyway)

Bob.

post-15231-0-37401600-1523872952_thumb.jpeg

This picture shows the underside a bit better and yes, there is a rubber seal to the top.

I think Im just really over filling it by the sounds of it and prehospital the pipe was too long too.

Bin that lever relief cap.

One of our local group had one fitted and found that it doesnt relieve unless the lever is allowed to lift......which it couldnt due to being very close to the underside of the bonnet. The result was high pressure in the cooling system and two core plugs blown in quick succession; the first resulting in a wrecked engine.

Worth checking the pipe as well, best to fit a new piece, Moss do it off the roll, they do a rigid one but it doesn't fit! The pipe needs to be a tight fit onto the rad spigot no splits and no leaks otherwise the fluid won't return.

Mine only looses a little fluid (1/2 cup) due to evaporation in hot 30+ reg weather after driving all day.

Chris

Edited by potts4a

Does that centre brass disc pull downwards if you use a fingernail on it. I'll bet it only moves when you operate the lever as Andrew suggests. If so it's the wrong cap and it goes in the bin.

Well we took the TR on a 45 minute trip out and 60 min trip back after lunch in 22° Sunshine and some traffic. It got hot enough for the electronic fan to kick in and parts of the journey were at 65 MPH. So basically, a half decent test.

This time I didnt top up the fluid before leaving as previously and only had an inch inside the overflow bottle. This time we didnt lose any fluid that I could see. It ran at normal temperature too.

The bottle is now a little over half full and Ill check tomorrow to see whether any was sucked back into the car once it cooled down.

Comments on cap noted and a new correct one will be ordered once back in the uk.

Thanks for advice chaps .... again !

All I need now, is to work out what & where the horrible clonking sound is coming from around the drivers front wheel area every time we go over a bump ????

All I need now, is to work out what & where the horrible clonking sound is coming from around the drivers front wheel area every time we go over a bump

:o:o:o

Grab the front wheel and waggle it in and out - it should be solid.

Do you have wire wheels? if so check the nuts that hold the adaptor on.

Have you got any loose containers in the engine bay?

Roger

:o:o:o

Grab the front wheel and waggle it in and out - it should be solid.

Do you have wire wheels? if so check the nuts that hold the adaptor on.

Have you got any loose containers in the engine bay?

Roger

I have wires and have had the wheel off to check the area. The adaptor is solid and the wheel is good too. However, there is a tiny bit of movement when pulling it in & out as you say. Im thinking this is the noise (bearing) but only because I cant find anything else. The movement is only small but still needs to be addressed when we get back.

It sounds as if its more related to suspension / shocks. Ive checked all this and the engine bay too and cant find anything loose. We only have it when we catch a small hole or dip. Nothing on normal flat roads or around bends.

Thankfully, most of the remaining trip is on decent roads.

Edited by TR4 AJJ

Hi Andy,

just to clarify my post - there should be a very small amount of play in the front bearings.

I think the book says 0.004", This will not produce a clunk etc.

It sounds more like suspension bushes etc. The white nylon bush does wear badly item #94 https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/steering-suspension/front-suspension/front-suspension-tr4a.html.

If it needs work, consider the SuperPro type bush upgrade.

Roger

Just a thought re the clonk Andy. If you have a front ARB could the off side drop link be going home?

Tim

It sounds more like something is just lose and clonking about. I thought it might be the bonnet stay as that doesnt really have a home but I tried wrapping it up in a cloth and it made no difference.

As the last few journeys have been on better roads, we dont hear it too much. Theres only the homeward trip left now to Caen and then Portsmouth to Essex after ferry trip. Its on the list of things to investigate once Home ...

On a more positive note, I seem to have the coolant at the perfect level now. 100 miles today in 26° sunshine and through traffic for 30 minutes looking for hotel and didnt lose a drop. Probably the hardest test for the car to date.

Its not sucking up the coolant once cool but thats either the wrong cap (as suggested) or the hose. The hose into the bottle is lose and I think it could easily draw air instead of coolant at that point. Add to list ....