I have a TR3a with a saloon gearbox and overdrive and am using a T2000 clutch which is only 8.5" diameter.

Does anyone know if there is a 9" diameter clutch available that will fit the 1" diameter /10 no. splines of the Triumph saloon gearbox?

As far as I can determine form the internet, most 9 inch clutches with 10 splines have a 1 1/8" diameter centre.

Rgds Ian

I have a TR3a with a saloon gearbox and overdrive and am using a T2000 clutch which is only 8.5" diameter.

Does anyone know if there is a 9" diameter clutch available that will fit the 1" diameter /10 no. splines of the Triumph saloon gearbox?

As far as I can determine form the internet, most 9 inch clutches with 10 splines have a 1 1/8" diameter centre.

Rgds Ian

I am forever amazed at the ingenuity of TR owners to get any combination of unmatched components to eventually work together in a reasonable manor.

What worries me or even scares the hell out of me is that one day these vehicles will be passed on to new owners who will in the fullness of time discover that when a part of their pride and joy wears out they can find nothing off the shelf which is a direct replacement for the defunct part.

Exchange speedo, "sorry sir we cannot exchange your unit it is not out of a TR"

Now if the true provenance of the car is passed on to the new owner and it is priced according then fair enough. But personally I would be more than disappointed if I bought a TR and found out later it was not a 'real' TR but more of a bitza in a TR body.

Chris

So long as you know what you are buying and you know the compatible parts and priced accordingly I dont see a problem.

No one on this thread seems to be passing off something its not ?

Just looking for compatible parts.

H

Edited by Hamish

Thanks Chris, before i posted I spent ages looking for that thread as I knew I'd been through it all before.

BTW I don't have a clutch problem it was a bit of research for someone.

Rgds Ian

Thanks Chris, before i posted I spent ages looking for that thread as I knew I'd been through it all before.

BTW I don't have a clutch problem it was a bit of research for someone.

Rgds Ian

You're welcome Ian, any technical reply could be interesting to read, I like to learn too !

No need to worry from my view.

A clutch for example can be refubished at our local SACHS dealer.

Driveshafts and propshafts are already custom made for me before

I swapped to CV joints that are all VW Golf and POLO parts.

Just from the outside it looks quite complicated but the experienced

Triumph driver knows about the scrap sold to us from China and how

to avoid to be disapppointed from that.

I totally rely on the substitution parts, maybe because I frequently drive

to Italy and do not want to worry there about China parts that fail quickly.

No need to worry from my view.

A clutch for example can be refubished at our local SACHS dealer.

Driveshafts and propshafts are already custom made for me before

I swapped to CV joints that are all VW Golf and POLO parts.

Just from the outside it looks quite complicated but the experienced

Triumph driver knows about the scrap sold to us from China and how

to avoid to be disapppointed from that.

I totally rely on the substitution parts, maybe because I frequently drive

to Italy and do not want to worry there about China parts that fail quickly.

Agreed Andreas, many current new parts are not fit for purpose and alternative solutions need to be found like Refurbished fuel pumps from Dave Davies and rebuilt original 50+ year old hubs.

What worries me is when the car is changed so parts to the original design can no longer be used.

I also use CV driveshafts also a narrow belt conversion with an electric fan which are very non original but worth while for modern road use.

Chris

Hi Chris,

if you want to stick with the original design of hubs then there is either Moss or Bastuck making new ones.

I don;t know about the Bastuck product but the Moss hub is very good.

The crucial part - the stub axle - is forged in China using the correct material and finished of in the UK by a quality workshop.

I have had a pair fitted for just over a year and they are performing very well.

Initially they were quite stiff but have settled down nicely.

I checked them every two week to start with to see if they went sloppy but they didn;t. I now check them monthly.

I would not recommend the refub'd hubs unless the stub axle was confirmed as new.

Roger