Help and Advice wanted ref TR4

Check your engine mountings then, if you use the Landrover round mounts then the engine will sit a bit higher so you maybe able to get away with a flush guard like the works cars

Stuart.

6 hours ago, stuart said:

Check your engine mountings then, if you use the Landrover round mounts then the engine will sit a bit higher so you maybe able to get away with a flush guard like the works cars

Stuart.

Thanks, yes it did occur to me maybe my engine mounts could be a bit tired.  I'll look at the LR option for sure.

Nigel

For the Liège Rally, the roughest of all in the early 1960s, the Comps Dept fitted a sump shield as shown in the attached photos.

Sorry - the images did not upload. I have no idea why not as it has always worked in the past.

Ian Cornish

On 4/20/2019 at 12:03 PM, stuart said:

Stuart.

+1  My sump is clear of a guard mounted to the underside of the chassis.

1 hour ago, bnseven said:

could you please Tom ??

Happy to help, I'm collecting the new batch tomorrow so will pm you the dimensions & material etc :) 

Off at a tangent here...From what I recall of our buy out of stock from Abingdon when it closed was that one of the alloy Leyland ST sump guard kits bought (? maybe 1800 or Mini?) included a thick rubber pad to wedge between it and the power unit bottom.  The engine was probably stabilised with additional brackets so I guess the sump guard added little in that area, only added shock and/or fretting impact protection.

Any use on a TR?

It is said the Austin 7 racing boys used to use motorway/roadwork signs for undershields - nice big bit of corrosion proofed aluminium for free....

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
5 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

one of the alloy Leyland ST sump guard kits bought (? maybe 1800 or Mini?) included a thick rubber pad to wedge between it and the power unit bottom.  The engine was probably stabilised with additional brackets so I guess the sump guard added little in that area, only added shock and/or fretting impact protection.

Any use on a TR?

Peter W

Moto x , trials bikes and seriously mucky rally cars used to use the foam rubber packing to keep mud and stones from collecting on the guard. 

12 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Moto x , trials bikes and seriously mucky rally cars used to use the foam rubber packing to keep mud and stones from collecting on the guard. 

Logical when I think about it.  Thanks for that Hamish.

Peter W

4 hours ago, Hamish said:

......which if the guard is whacked then push the stones through the sump.:-(

Iain

• 10 months later...

Some experiential follow up intel re my posts above. Just completed 7,000 km on the NZ Classic enduro rally, much of it on gravel.

Sump guard proved pretty much essential, God knows how long I’d have lasted without (we still bushwhacked the clutch slave cylinder) but being the non-flush type  of shield meant we became a “gravel plough” on the most heavily cambered roads (competitors following us appreciated our involuntary road grading, also helped by an ar$e-dragging Healey). But... had we run with a raised suspension - as the TRE boys suggested, to be fair - it would have been less of a graunch.

Masses more learnt, don’t get me started on brakes, but thought I’d just give those experiences on the sump guard matter in case useful.

Nigel