Brake Caliper Piston Bore Seals

Hi all,

Does anyone know which order the rubber seals go in when replacing the caliper pistons? When removing the old seals I didn't notice they were different and the illustration in the Haynes manual makes them look identical so I'm scratching my head over whether the indented one goes inside the bore or sits on underneath the retaining ring. Both seem to fit in either position. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Best,

Ben.

Hi Ben

The seal in the bore is normally square section, and if it has a lip on the outer circumference that's likely to engage in a machined groove in the assembly somewhere. What model of caliper is it and I assume from TR7?

Photos would be helpful, but as its brakes you would obviously need to be absolutely certain. Was there any literature with the kit?

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits

Hi Kevin,

Sorry, yes TR7. I'm fairly new to all of this so apologies for the vague detail. What does "square section" mean? No, no literature with the kit and as mentioned the Haynes illustration sheds no light. I suppose what I've called "indented" could be described as two lips - one on the top and one on the bottom but there don't appear to be any grooves for them to slot into. The caliper model is:

Lockheed

England

3243 341C

DA22893

Thanks,

Ben.

Hi Ben

I think Id contact the manufacturer of the kit or look on line to get hold of assembly instructions for the kit, which should be with it or available.

Itll normally detail things like cleaning the caliper bore, using fluid on the seal or rubber grease supplied etc, so I would get hold of instructions first, which will also tell you the order of fitting the seals.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

No, no instructions with the kit (it's actually the second kit I've bought. The first was from Robsport which also didn't come with instructions and I called them but they didn't know!). This second kit is from Bigg Red so I might have to call them. I've scoured the web and can't find anything online except reproductions of the Haynes Manual which doesn't help. Will persevere. Have a good weekend.

Ben.