Hi all,

Just got my 4a through the MOT feeling chuffed when I went to get in the door wouldn't open it was on the first latch so I climbed over and left it till I got home, after a lot of wiggling managed to get it open, three of the screws holding the door latch mechanism had worked loose and fallen out so I thought simple job just renew the screws but the door swung back and held on the second latch again.

After a few choice words I tried to wiggle the door again but just couldn't get it open this time.

I then thought I may get access from inside but was at a loss how to remove the inside door handle and window winder.

Any suggestions would be most wecome

regards to all Lee

Hi Lee. If you push back the plastic escutcheon surrounding the handle into the trim panel you will reveal the shaft and see a pin which can be pushed out with a smal screwdriver.

Dont lose the pin :-)

Hi Lee

I found that the countersink profile on the new screws I fitted to my door locks did not quite match the countersink of the lock components , so left the screws when fitted with the shake proof washer, proud of the latch or lock assembly. This had a tendency to jam the door. It could be that the shake proof washer was also thicker, though I did refit using some older screws and washers and the door closed and opened freely. Might also be worth checking lock alignment when closing the door, and lubricating.

I believe the screws were obtained from Moss.

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits

Lee

Note the position of the door handle and window winder before removing.

Put an old washing up bowl under the door handle and window winder to catch the pins. They are always hell bent on making a bid for freedom !

Note the orientation of the spring behind the door card , large " mouth " to back of door card. Small mouth of spring towards the mechanism.

Only after you have fully resolved the opening / closure issue consider re-instating the door card.

When replacing , first of all don't forget the springs behind the panel ( I've never , ever done that ... well ,maybe I did once !! Stupid boy).

Grease up the felt pad behind the bar ( opening handle to rear of car / door lock ) and the door panel fixings with Vaseline. Put the top row in first. Then check that all the other holes line up before pushing / knocking in the rest with the heel of your palm.

Bob