PI Metering Unit / Control unit Fuel Control Diaphragm

Hi

I have taken apart the metering unit and control unit, since fuel was leaking from the control unit. The fuel seal/control diaphragm is perished. I have order a replacement from Rimmers, part No. 519870 but it does not come with the metal insert at the centre. This pre fitted diaphragm is no longer available. Does anyone know how I swap the centre insert from the old diaphragm to the new one? Do I still need it? I have checked with all the usual suppliers - they state they sell lots of diaphragms without the centre insert but no one knows how to actually fit it! Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

I fitted a Rimmer's fuelling diaphragm last year and it lasted about an hour on Australian high octane unleaded before it swelled so much that fuel leaked past it along the shaft.

I replaced it with a locally made Viton diaphragm and have no problems since.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help. Spoke with a very helpful Steve at KMI (thanks Blue bob). FYI> The insert pushes out in the direction of the control unit and fits back in the same way. The shoulder of the insert faces the control unit and the flat face is facing the metering unit. Simple to remove and fit once one knows how! The diaphragm has 3 small marks on the rubber face - and these face the metering unit to ensure the diaphragm is the correct way round. New one fitted and no more leaking fuel!