1-speed (original) wiper motor parking issue

Hi, a 1964 TR4 fitted with (I think) still the original wiper motor parks the wipers in the middle of my windscreen.

I found this thread http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/27896-wiper-motor/stating just to take of "the silver gear cover plate" to get to the park mechanism switch.

( Just for information: I found this pdf very instructive in finding out if all is correctly wired: https://www.google.be/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&ved=0ahUKEwiLgOz3wa_aAhXK6lMKHZwUBgkQFghsMAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thorden.dk%2FTeknik%2Ftwo-speed.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2HgwH07jsE1dhTlNNF5Dbk )

Just to make sure I do it right I included a few pictures of my motor, if someone would please be so kind to tell me what the cover is that I need to lift.

Also, are there no screws to undo to lift the cover? I ask because I see some screws located in weird and unreachable positions.

Thank you very much for any help, it is very much appreciated!

Greetings, Erik

post-14211-0-02697600-1523357323_thumb.jpg

post-14211-0-32969900-1523357362_thumb.jpg

Hi Erik,

to remove the round cover with the red wire you may need to unbolt the motor from the bracket. Sometimes worth doing this just to look inside to see that all is well.

Otherwise, if the wipers park consistently in the middle of the screen why not remove the wiper arms and put them where they need to be.

Or has this parking in the middle of the screen just started ?

Roger

Hi Roger, if I remove the wipers when parked in the middle of the screen and position them right, I am afraid that when starting again the wipers will turn below the windscreen. Am I wrong?

I wouldn't chance simply moving the wiper arms on their spindles. You stand a good chance of wiping the bonnet and that would not be good. Tom has the right answer.

As Roger says, has this just started to happen or have they always been like that? If it's a new thing then it points to something a bit more difficult to fix. Try a Personal Message to AlanT, he's the wiper expert.

Hi Erik,

if the auto park is putting them in the middle then that is where they should stay..

You can test the rotation with the arms removed and see if it goes below the screen

If you can slacken the screws then Toms advice is good.

Roger

Hi Erik ~

You need to slacken off the cover and then rotate the circular cover until you get your wipers to park correctly then tighten up the screws.

Tom.

Hi Tom, to slacken the cover, I know of one screw that is reachable (visible on the first picture near the red wire, but blurred on the picture): would, that suffice? There is another little bolt (not screw) behind the motor but absolutely not reachable. Maybe apply some strong force on the cover; else I am afraid I have to undo the whole assembly as suggested by Roger?

Hi Erik,

to remove the round cover with the red wire you may need to unbolt the motor from the bracket. Sometimes worth doing this just to look inside to see that all is well.

Otherwise, if the wipers park consistently in the middle of the screen why not remove the wiper arms and put them where they need to be.

Or has this parking in the middle of the screen just started ?

Roger

Hi Roger, this has been since the purchase of the car two years ago, but I had not yet delved into it.

Hi Erik,

Pete's point is quite valid. The wipers may clean the bonnet if the arms are simply moved around.

Remove the arms and see if the spindles rotate far enough to cause the arms to go below the screen.

If they do then the round cap on the wiper motor needs rotating.

There are three screws that need loosening. If they can't be reached (I'm sure they can) then you will need to remove the wiper from its bracket.

Then loosen the screws then the round cover can be rotated.

If it is parking in the middle of the screen then the cover needs to be rotated apprx 90'.

Or you could cut the red wire and not have self park. This would also stop the armature burning out if the wipers seize on the screen mid-wipe.

Roger

Hi Erik ~

On no account try to lever the cover to try and adjust the wipers. I'm afraid that you need to remove the motor, slacken off all the screws/bolts

sufficiently to allow the dome cap to be rotated then refit the motor temporarily and then adjust the wiper parking.

Once you've achieved the correct setting, remove the motor and tighten everything up.

Tom.

ok, I will start on it now, thanks. I will let you know here how it goes, greetings, thank you to all!!

Mission accompli! Thanks everyone.

I had to undo one screw, and one tiny little bolt visible top left second picture.

Parking nicely down left (right hand drive). Only little issue is that there is quite a bit of slack: wipers go about halfway up and down instead of full way up, due to some loose or worn gearing probably.

But at least screen gets wiped enough to be able to drive in rain (if there ever is in this area).

Hi Erik,

well done on that.

The helix push rod can get worn - but it only wears on one side.

When you feel up to it -

Remove the wiper arms

remove the motor

take the helix push rod off the motor and replace 180' turned over.

This will expose a good part of the helix to the wheelbox cog. When doing this DO NOT turn the wiper arm spindles other than with the helix push rod.

If it is still sloppy then you will need new wheelboxes and probably a new helix push rod.

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Remember my rule of thumb. Every 4 thou of wear in any of the rack-wire, wheel-head, motor-crank, big oilite bush in the motor, etc produces 1 degree of backlash in the arm sweep.

In other words this mechanism only just works if in good order and more or less wear free.

NOS wire-racks are easy to get and cheap. Wheel-heads are available as good UK repros.

Can't imagine how you will get a motor fixed, although I have done about 150 now.

Remember my rule of thumb. Every 4 thou of wear in any of the rack-wire, wheel-head, motor-crank, big oilite bush in the motor, etc produces 1 degree of backlash in the arm sweep.

In other words this mechanism only just works if in good order and more or less wear free.

NOS wire-racks are easy to get and cheap. Wheel-heads are available as good UK repros.

Can't imagine how you will get a motor fixed, although I have done about 150 now.

Good to know; the motor is working well now (parking position ok now, and running fine), but indeed the rack is so worn out it will be replaced. This will be a job for next winter as here we don't have virtually no rain from April to October. I surely will get back in touch with you for replacement parts. Greetings, Erik

Great to let me know! Thanks for this information, I will check that out and probably go for it. But I think more parts will be needed on my car as one of the wiper arm rotating fixtures are shot too.

What is called the part (or parts) where the actual wiper arm is connected to (the round protruding rotating back-and-forth part)? In my case this part does rotate but it is not fixed properly anymore to the chassis.

Can the wirerack be replaced without dismounting the wipermotor? Is it sufficient to unlock/unscrew the topplate for the gearbox (see picture)? The reason I ask is that the motor assembly is fitted almost impossible to remove (car bought like this), using in one instance a rivet instead of a screw.

post-14211-0-15877000-1524327746_thumb.jpg

What is called the part (or parts) where the actual wiper arm is connected to (the round protruding rotating back-and-forth part)? In my case this part does rotate but it is not fixed properly anymore to the chassis.

Wheelbox?

First thing is BE CAREFUL with the big nut. Don't use the wiper casing as a spanner, especially with the top plate removed.

The only motors I have to scrap are those with cracked castings where the rack goes in.

You could pull out the horseshoe clip on the gear crank-pin. Lift out the crank-arm. Careful not to bend it!

Now you have a chance to pull the wire straight out through the motor.

Sounds good eh!. Except that there is a screw holding the top-plate on that on a TR4 is under the gutter and you probably can't undo it.

Can the wirerack be replaced without dismounting the wipermotor? Is it sufficient to unlock/unscrew the topplate for the gearbox (see picture)? The reason I ask is that the motor assembly is fitted almost impossible to remove (car bought like this), using in one instance a rivet instead of a screw.

Hi Erik,

that os not a rivet but a locating pin. The lid will simply lift off when you remove the conventional screws.

Roger

Hi Erik,

that os not a rivet but a locating pin. The lid will simply lift off when you remove the conventional screws.

Roger

Hi Roger, the actual rivet is located underneath that box in the picture: there are two locations underneath the gearbox where screw or bolts should fit to connect the unit to the firewall, one of them instead is a rivet. So dismounting that box will be a painfull undertaking.

Thanks for letting me know that the pin on my picture is a locating pin. You also notice one hole where a screw is (and has always been) missing.

So basically if I understand correctly I undo the screws on the boxcover to gain access to the interior of the box.

As mentioned before the wirerack is not the only thing to be replaced: the right wiper (it is a LHD car) is so loose that the wiper rotating bolt (on which the wiper arm is located, the thing protruding from the chassis right below the windscreen) can be moved up and down. I am currently not anymore on-site (back in Belgium since yesterday) but in a few weeks time I will be back and take some detailed pictures.