Hi all

I’m installing a new Autosparks harness in my 72 Pi restoration project.

Now I’m no autoelectrician but wanted to do it myself rather than farm it out as that’s largely the point of buying a resto project than a nice running, driving car and how hard can it be, right. Lol.

So I used my old harness, badly labelled on dismantling to label the new harness along with the 1972 wiring diagram from Advanceautowire and the facia connections diagrams on pages 88.00.01 sheets 2 and 4 of the brown book.

So most of it makes sense but as a trial run, to try to make sure I knew what I was doing with the difficult bits I’ve tried a bench assembly of the dash and its wiring.

Its gone 90% plus well and is simple enough (I think!!), but I seem to have some spare wires and some missing.

So i need some help and advice.

I'll post questions in a abit or PM if preferred.

Cheers

Keith

Tom

In hindsight spot on.

But in my defence i was going to use the original harness but eventually decided that buying a non runner then removing the harness i might be just putting back unknown problems.

But hey ho, i''l plod on.

Cheers

Keith

So couple of questions.

I have a 5 position plinth but a column ignition switch and the plinth the switches do not seem to correspond to my handbook or pictures I’ve seen. Central switch is a pull switch with a bulb and Lucas type snap connectors on the rear, see picture. Now I don’t know what should connect to that as its not in the diagrams and could be non-standard. All I seem to have is a single green and a single green / brown with snap connectors in that area and not a lot else.

Re the connections to the ignition in the harness, firstly they seem in the wrong place as they spur off the bit of the harness that feed all the minor instruments but my ignition is on the column rather than the plinth? Are they all like that or was it change when the ignition position changed? Also there is a twin white wire in the harness (as well as a single) does it matter which white in the ignition switch it connects to?

Cheers

Keith

post-13051-0-97101600-1523312352_thumb.png

Next couple.

Someone has added a wire to one of the unused spade on the ignition swich. So its opposite the white wire and white and brown wires that go to the harness and not the red white wire. Any idea what that terminal is or what ignition position its live for?

Close to what I think is the dipswitch feed are two wires, spade connectors one is Dk Green the other is Dk green with a brown stripe, no idea what they do, but they are kind of close to the steering column area.

Also got another spur in this area which has 4 wires. One white with a red stripe and three brown, with ring terminals, two of which a very thick. Are these are of the starting circuit?

Any help gratefully received.

Cheers

Keith

So the last (I hope !!) area of difficulty is the stalks for light and indicators.

Indicator stalk seems ok and connects to the appropriate wires from a spur on the harness.

But the lighting stalk does not. So the stalk has the following wires.

Single light Blue male snap connector

Single light Blue, white stripe male snap connector

Single Brown, Blue stripe female snap connector

Single Brown female snap connector

Single Red, Blue Stripe female snap connector

Sense would say they connect to same wires out of the harness coming from the same spur as the indicator wires, but there I have the following.

Single Dark Blue male snap connector

Single Brown white stripe male snap connector

Single Purple white stripe male snap connector

Single Red Black stripe male snap connector

Single Purple male snap connector

Single Blue white stripe female snap connector

Single Green female snap connector

Single Green purple stripe female snap connector

So they don’t seem to coincide and I’m kind of abit stumped.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Keith

Not sure if this helps Keith...

I have a 5 position plinth but a column ignition switch and the plinth the switches do not seem to correspond to my handbook or pictures I’ve seen. Central switch is a pull switch with a bulb and Lucas type snap connectors on the rear, see picture. Now I don’t know what should connect to that as its not in the diagrams and could be non-standard. All I seem to have is a single green and a single green / brown with snap connectors in that area and not a lot else.

The switch icons are standard apart from your extra pull switch in the centre which is aftermarket. GOK knows what it was for. Perhaps auxiliary lights? Light green/brown was lucas code for flasher switch to flasher unit so I suppose it could be a hazard switch but can't see who'd wire one in ordinarily. Dark green/brown for reverse lamps (as below) or: There's a green/brown wire to power the heater? I'd expect green (CP) or white/pink (CR) in, green brown & green yellow out to heater fan.

Re the connections to the ignition in the harness, firstly they seem in the wrong place as they spur off the bit of the harness that feed all the minor instruments but my ignition is on the column rather than the plinth?

CR cars had ignition just under the dash attached to the column. From the loom POV that could be close-I’d need to check my car (when the rain stops…)

Are they all like that or was it change when the ignition position changed? Also there is a twin white wire in the harness (as well as a single) does it matter which white in the ignition switch it connects to?

Expect they're all the same "white" in the switch as they originate from there.

Someone has added a wire to one of the unused spade on the ignition swich. So its opposite the white wire and white and brown wires that go to the harness and not the red white wire. Any idea what that terminal is or what ignition position its live for?

Is it a 4 spade ignition or 6? CR cars would add a white/Pink wire to this for a radio switched feed. Test it w a multimeter to see if it’s live when switched on? It also supplies power to the heater switch on the CR cars. USA cars had 6 spade s for their various bits…

Close to what I think is the dipswitch feed are two wires, spade connectors one is Dk Green the other is Dk green with a brown stripe, no idea what they do, but they are kind of close to the steering column area.

Sounds like this could be the reverse lamp switch connection. Will it reach to the gearbox?

Also got another spur in this area which has 4 wires. One white with a red stripe and three brown, with ring terminals, two of which a very thick. Are these are of the starting circuit?

White w red to starter solenoid

Brown/ringed & thick sound like the other side of the solenoid and back to the battery +

Another of these thinner wires may run to the ignition switch

As for column switch wire colours, these are the British standards:

Single light Blue male snap connector Lighting switch to dip switch

Single light Blue, white stripe male snap connector Dip switch to headlamp main beam

Single Brown, Blue stripe female snap connector Control box voltage to ignition/lighting

Single Brown female snap connector Main battery feed

Single Red, Blue Stripe female snap connector Not assigned but blue/red is dipped beam

Harness/indicator wires

Single Dark Blue male snap connector No dark or navy. Blue/Black also unassigned.

Single Brown white stripe male snap connector Ammeter to control box

Single Purple white stripe male snap connector Interior light to switch

Single Red Black stripe male snap connector Parking switch to LHS lamp

Single Purple male snap connector Fused accessory feed direct from battery

Single Blue white stripe female snap connector Dipper switch to headlamp hi beam

Single Green female snap connector Fused accessories switched

Single Green purple stripe female snap connector Stop lamps to stop lamp switch

Those AAW circuits are American cars. I've made a CR diagram, I think the brown bible had CP? If you want a copy PM me if you don't have it as it has a schematic of the loom.

post-12460-0-71787200-1523323996_thumb.png

My car also had an unusual set of wires to a replacement indicator switch. The CR switch (4 wires) has a "flash to pass" hi beam function on it's hi/low beam switch which differs slightly from the CP one (on the indicator I think and not quite sure how it ?). You might need to get a multimeter out to see what positions do what?

CP one looks like this:

post-12460-0-34564600-1523323701_thumb.png

And connects like this:

post-12460-0-83539400-1523324135_thumb.png

I'd expect the harness green, green/brown to attach to the brake pedal switch under the dash.

harness Purple white to a lamp under the dash illuminating the key/ignition

harness Red/Black-no idea.

harness Blue-might be master light switch to dip/flash switch (floor or column) and this connects to a brown/blue on my column switch

For the column switch:

Is the lighting stalk you are describing the hi/low beam & flash to pass one? That's a CR switch (usually 4 connectors) but the 5 connections suggests a CP or American car.

For CP light switch:

Light blue doesn't really feature, maybe it's an aftermarket estimate of blue? in which case: switch to dimmer switch is blue on both CP/CR.

Blue White connects straight to a blue/white dual connection that runs from the dim/high switch to the blue high beam indicator dash light. That allows the "flash to pass to energise the circuit.

Brown/white should be ignition to light switch for CP cars but connected through the Brown/Blue.

Brown (switch) connects to purple harness

That leaves your red blue as actually a red/green that powers the dash lighting at night and the rear lamps.

So the last (I hope !!) area of difficulty is the stalks for light and indicators.

Indicator stalk seems ok and connects to the appropriate wires from a spur on the harness.

But the lighting stalk does not. So the stalk has the following wires.

Single light Blue male snap connector

Single light Blue, white stripe male snap connector

Single Brown, Blue stripe female snap connector

Single Brown female snap connector

Single Red, Blue Stripe female snap connector

Sense would say they connect to same wires out of the harness coming from the same spur as the indicator wires, but there I have the following.

Single Dark Blue male snap connector

Single Brown white stripe male snap connector

Single Purple white stripe male snap connector

Single Red Black stripe male snap connector

Single Purple male snap connector

Single Blue white stripe female snap connector

Single Green female snap connector

Single Green purple stripe female snap connector

So they dont seem to coincide and Im kind of abit stumped.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Keith

Hi Keith.

You may find this diagram useful, it's one i altered to suit my 72 CP car with some additional bits and relays. Hope this helps.

TR6 CP KG Wiring Dia.pdf

Edited by Kevo_6

Hi All

Thanks for the replies and info.

But it does raise a question, my car is a Jan 72 P1 so a CP that would have been built late 71, indeed some of my trim components are stamped 1971. It has a 5 position central switch plinth and i agree looks like someone added the pull switch pictured, although i'm not sure what for.

The manual shows a picture of a central ignition key, however my car does not have a central ignition key so when did the steering column ignition key arrive and did that correspond with the change from a 5 position plinth with the ignition key in that position or was there another switch?

One for the specification guru's.

Cheers

Keith

Hi Keith

When I ordered my loom I had to order an extra short loom extension for the ignition switch.

My TR is a 74CR so it has a steering lock but I notice the extension is required for a CP anyway, they didn't tell me till after the loom arrived.

Look for :TRIUMPH TR6 IGNITION SWITCH EXTENSION LEAD Part No 380 Edited by Prefect

Hi All

Well i'm CP70000 ish so thats right for the ignition key.

But not necessarily the plinth which is 5 hole.

But thinking about it, could it have been to do with the dealer fit of an accessory, although there was no evidence of driving lamps or reversing lights when i stripped the car, err like some lights (lol) attached to the front or back, but i can't say i would have noticed from the harness i removed.

Cheers

Keith

Looks a bit like this on in Moss to me Keith:

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/electrical-system/switches-controls/pull-switches.html

Suggests a PO/DPO add on?