Balancing the Radiator Fan - Re-tightening the Starter Dog

I would say the Woodruff key is so close to the center of rotation that it will make no practical difference in balance. It's the pieces that are at the largest radius from the centerline that have the biggest influence -- unbalances there contribute most to moving the center of mass away from the center of rotation..

• 2 weeks later...

post-15499-0-52497200-1524652733_thumb.jpg

Here’s a picture of the removed ‘Woodruff Key’ (compared to its new replacement), taken from the end of my TR2 drive shaft - over which the fan’s pulley hub is fitted. The wear, repeated both sides, is obvious.

The consequences of this, with slackness in the corresponding groove on the pulley hub, was over 1/8th inch of play when turning the pulley to-and-fro – not to mention other wear on the inner circumference of the ‘hub’: causing vertical and horizontal movement as well! Transmit all this movement to the heavy fan on the other end, where the bushes, sleeves and bolts were all shaken loose and showing signs of wear, and you have the argument for the dire necessity to ‘balance’ this piece of equipment – if you want to keep it all original.

Fortunately, despite the horrendous forces that must have been let loose here, there is no sign of wear to the groove in the end of the drive shaft and, all is now free of any ‘play’ – having replaced also the hub and (standard wide) pulley, as well as fitting the ‘TR6’ plastic fan conversion. I know, it's a cop-out for the purist, but it will keep everything running and help me decide whether this option is for me.

Thanks for all the contributions

I would say the Woodruff key is so close to the center of rotation that it will make no practical difference in balance. It's the pieces that are at the largest radius from the centerline that have the biggest influence -- unbalances there contribute most to moving the center of mass away from the center of rotation..

IMHO, the key will not contribute to anything, it just fills up the space cut away in the axle and the hub.