... another 5 on ebay!

Hi Tim, a few too many mods for me.....still looks good though !

Cheers,

Conrad.

Agree Conrad, the value is in originality especially on a TR5.

The pump set up looks like a dry sump tank in the boot! Id also refit a proper 5 steering wheel- big focal point!

Kevin

The pump set up looks like a dry sump tank in the boot! Id also refit a proper 5 steering wheel- big focal point!

Kevin

Thats a swirl pot.

Stuart.

Well spotted Stuart. Maybe it's been used for track day or hillclimb events?

Kevin

Or whoever sold them the EFI kit told them it needed it. :ph34r:

Stuart.

Picky I know but at that price the trim is scruffy and couldn’t they bung on some hub caps?

Hi Tim, a few too many mods for me.....still looks good though !

Cheers,

Conrad.

Kevin

Gents

I tend to agree with your points, there is some money to be spent, brining things up to par, but, as Kevin says, it's originality for me and a lot of that originality has been replaced and would need to be put back; wheels, PI system, steering wheel are the easy bits to spot, so what else would need doing?

I have always coveted the TR5;

The prettiest body, combined with the straight 6 PI.

I know the Lucas PI has its critics, but, after Clive Manvers had worked his magic on my TR6, including going back to original parts, the engine started, ran, pulled and stopped like a dream, no matter what the temperature or weather.

Why don't I have a '5'?

The answer is in the advert.

Initial view it looks nice, but a more careful study shows that if you want a perfect "original" car there is much detail and potentially expensive work to do.

It will all come down to what you want. I think many would be very happy with a car like this and not be bothered about getting her back to as original. I suspect few cars are still as original, most will have some changes if only small. I set out to keep mine original but during the rebuild I realised it was not practical so small upgrades have been fitted but nothing outrageous.

For my money ( if I had any!) I would prefer to get a car less tinkered with that I could build to my spec.

... so do I!

Lovely example.

You are a funny lot… if the car was “unknown” – we would have had loads of “..at that price I would want to see …..blah blab blah blab” . Instead of which we get compliments on the painted wing beads and the chrome strip sill strip [yet omitting to mention the lack of black below said strip].

Some other poor wretch would have been pilloried with long discussions on non-originality (or otherwise) of piped seats, dashboards, steering wheels, gearknobs, probably even spring washers etc etc….

ah well, such are the joys of Forums, I guess. :D

[yes, lovely car by the way]

Edited by mehere

Thanks chaps , good to hear some feedback,

I tried to get everything to Original or of period, with plenty of good advice along the way.

It's a great drive , but as they say, you can only drive one at the time !

All the best,

Conrad.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Tom, and Thankyou to Classicwise, who have shown and sold my 5 For me.

A good and professional job done , backed up by years of TR expertise,

Good luck to Classicwise in the years to come.

Cheers,

Conrad.

I know this is an old thread but I noticed that at the foot of the page advertising the second TR5 was a nice looking GT6Mk2 for sale for at an eye watering £19,995. The advert just shows you what crap can be spouted by supposed "experts":-

"There are only 28 MK2 GT6’s surviving in the UK and it is without doubt a far prettier car than the high volume MK3 with MK1 looks with MK3 mechanicals these are the ones to own, ever better if they have a lovely history to them"

I think there are rather more than 28 UK cars left and the build numbers for the three marks were roughly the same. I'm disappointed to only have the ugly, high volume Mk3. I doubt I can even give it away now!

Cheers

Alan

I know this is an old thread but I noticed that at the foot of the page advertising the second TR5 was a nice looking GT6Mk2 for sale for at an eye watering £19,995. The advert just shows you what crap can be spouted by supposed "experts":-

"There are only 28 MK2 GT6s surviving in the UK and it is without doubt a far prettier car than the high volume MK3 with MK1 looks with MK3 mechanicals these are the ones to own, ever better if they have a lovely history to them"

I think there are rather more than 28 UK cars left and the build numbers for the three marks were roughly the same. I'm disappointed to only have the ugly, high volume Mk3. I doubt I can even give it away now!

Dont worry to much about it Alan Ive a MK1 GT6 and I threw away the Body and put a Roundtail Spit one onto it and a 2.5 into it,Enjoy it while you can as we cant take them with us.

PS,its a bit of a Dog but I love it.

Cheers

Alan

"There are only 28 MK2 GT6s surviving in the UK and it is without doubt a far prettier car than the high volume MK3 with MK1 looks with MK3 mechanicals these are the ones to own, ever better if they have a lovely history to them"

Dont worry to much about it Alan Ive a MK1 GT6 and I threw away the Body and put a Roundtail Spit one onto it and a 2.5 into it,Enjoy it while you can as we cant take them with us.

PS,its a bit of a Dog but I love it.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by TR NIALL