TR 6 J type overdrive wiring

I have to replace the wiring for the overdrive on my j type overdrive on my TR 6 C.R as it currently resembles a burnt out sparkler ! A previous owner has used a relay in the circuit which I dont think it should have. It has also been modified to work on three gears. What ampage wire should I be using for the circuit to operate the overdrive ? Should I use a relay in the circuit?

MARK

Hello Mark, I would use a relay. I have a rather poor opinion on modern switches, and I think a relay will give your overdrive switch a chance of life. I have had to run my indicators through a relay for the same reason.

Austin

I used the same size cable that is used for lighting (Side lights) and have never had a problem.

ST used a relay in the circuit, as far as I'm aware, when the coil energises to engage the overdrive it has a sort of hold in coil system that reduces the power needed to initially engage the O/D. (pull in coil)

The coil of the relay W2 goes to the o/d switch then to your interlock switches, and the feed from the relay C2 feeds the O/D solenoid

post-4234-0-75302900-1522350557_thumb.jpeg

Thanks all for the words of wisdom !

Roger - Have ordered some cable and connectors to replace barbequed wires! I think I will put a a relay in circuit. A battery cut off switch as well! Nothing worse than smoke pooring out of your car in an electical fire! Especially when you are supposed to be going to the Scottish Highlands the next day !!! :wacko:

A battery cut off switch as well! Nothing worse than smoke pouring out of your car in an electrical fire!

Especially when you are supposed to be going to the Scottish Highlands the next day !!! :wacko:

the smoke will keep the midges away. :lol::lol::lol::lol:B)

Roger