Castle Combe Track Day Final Instructions

The good new is that we have a full entry of 48 cars and nearly 70 drivers. That means I can afford to pay for one 10” x 8” colour image of your car on the track from photographer Jim Gaisford.

The restaurant will open at 7.00 for tea / coffee and breakfast.

Aim to arrive between 7.15 and 7.45 but please arrive safely, driving with particular care close to the circuit.

On arrival it’s a good idea to empty your car and boot so you are ready for the track. Then go get a cuppa / breakfast / whatever.

This year I’d like to organise the noise testing in two sessions, one before the drivers’ briefing and one after.

So if you are in Group A or B (see email sent to entrants) can you make sure you’re in the queue for noise testing from 8.00.

If you are in Group C or D can you go for noise testing after the drivers’ briefing at 8.30 (ie from 9.00 to 9.30). By the way, the noise limit is 100 dB(A) measured at 45 degrees from the exhaust outlet at 0.5 metres and 4500 rpm. If you know you have a noisy car then please keep the revs /noise down in the paddock area until the circuit opens.

After the drivers’ briefing I’ll need all the drivers and passengers to tick a couple of boxes to confirm you’ve read the track indemnity (it’s your fault not theirs) and listened to the briefing and then sign my entry sheet. You’ll then be given the wrist band that gives you access to the circuit.

Group A will take to the circuit at 9.00 to 9.14. Group B: 9.15 to 9.29. Group C: 9.30 to 9.44 and Group D: 9.45 to 9.59.

If we have any drivers who declare themselves to be particularly nervous then from 10 to 10.14, we will have a fifth group E. Then A, B, C, D for the rest of the morning and the first hour of so of the afternoon.

Lunch will be served from 12.30 to 1.30 when the circuit will close so the marshals get a break and something to eat.

Often what happens on a track day is that by mid afternoon the field thins and we get fewer and fewer cars on the circuit. So this year I’ve posted on the website and told local group leaders that anyone who turns up in their TR can have a go on the track from 3pm. They will need to arrive before 2pm, get through noise and attend a drivers’ briefing at 2.30 and pay £30 / car plus £10 / passenger additional driver. I’m expecting to see up to a dozen new cars and drivers, most of whom will be taking to the track for the first time. So we’ll have a special session for them for their first 15 minute session.

The track will close at 5.00

Please think about what you and your passengers will be wearing in the car. It makes sense to wear something that is flame retardant. If you own a race suit wear it. A leather jacket is better than a flammable fleece. Helmets are compulsory (free loan is available if you need to borrow one but must be returned). In open cars drivers and passengers need suitable eye protection ie visor or goggles.

Legs and arms need to be covered in all cars. This applies equally to drivers and passengers. So no t-shirts and shorts when on the track regardless of the weather.

Always follow, without question, the instructions of the circuit marshals.

Overtaking is allowed. Vehicles must overtake on the straight only. Do not overtake on corners, in the red zones or after the braking cone. This will become clearer during the safety briefing. Use your mirrors and be sensible. If a car appears in your mirrors that’s because the car behind you is going faster than you. When safe to do so, signal to show you have seen it and allow it to pass.

Don’t forget to bring your camera / toolkit / coat / jacket / whatever BUT remove them all from inside the car and the boot before you take to the circuit. So somewhere to store your possessions (a bag, small tent etc) is useful as well.

Please use the onsite cafe for food and drink – it all helps the viability of the circuit.

Additional passengers / drivers on the day will be allowed on payment of the the additional £10 / person. They will, of course, have to attend the safety briefing completing all the paperwork along with everyone else intending to get onto the race circuit.

There is no charge for spectators. Dogs are allowed but must be kept on a lead at all times.

Kev

Excellent. I'm sure you'll leave wondering why you didn't book the full day.

The BBC weather forecast has been varying from the chance of light rain (20% to 30%) to light cloud to sunny spells. Fingers crossed for the latter.

kev

Thanks Kev. Looking forward to it.

Be an early start tho !!

Fingers are crossed for the weather

Dont know whether to be flattered or intimidated that my little 3a is in with the 6 pot cars including the ever fast Roger McE

H

Great day out today. Thanks Kev and all those that organised it.

Thanks also to the marshals.

It was a dreadfully wet day with rivers running across some parts.

But still had fun and learnt a lot about the car tyres and my limits.

Shared the time with a passenger who had travelled 9 hours to get there !!!

70 odd track miles was fantastic value for money.

Thanks

H

Posted Today, 10:26 PM

Well done for an excellent day - I was only there for a couple of hours to fly the Pringle flag. Alec is very poorly and can only stay awake for half an hour at a time.

Cheerful drivers in spite of the p....g rain !

Julian (TR3A daily driver) took his just rebuilt Mallock out - his son and our long term friends Jeff & Chris had a great day taking it in turn to run it in and get rid of the gremlins. Happy days to come.

I will try and add my video clip of Jeff (TR6 owner) driving it after lunch using my phone.

PS Thanks to all who signed Alec's card !

Edited by V8 Lady

Here's Julian's Mallock U2 clubman on-track at Castle Combe the other day. Everyone had a blast, despite the weather, and the car ran surprisingly well for the first time on track since 1980. Julian noted earlier today that this would never have happened but for Alec's support, technical advice, and encouragement to do the job properly.

Pringle Racing!