Hi,

I think Ive found that old thread (2013). The majority of the posts are discussing the actual need (or not) of a Servo.

However, the original posts certainly describe exactly whats happening to my TR and its even the same make / model servo. This is all good stuff for me to show the mechanic. Hopefully either a silicon lubricant of parts or total replacement of air valve will sort this issue.

Thanks.

Well done for using the search facility, you'll find it full of marvellous knowledge, as has been said before sometimes it's a bit clunky and you often get a more comprehensive search by using Google and referring to the TR Register by name which then does the sticky bits for you. I'm always dipping in and out to check info or confirm methods of repair and use it as my first point of checking before posting and asking for help.

Mick Richards

Hi All,

I had to warm up the engine yesterday after changing the coolant and whilst sitting In the car waiting and generally being bored, I let the car slowly roll forward on the sloped drive and then gave the brake pedal a couple of hard pumps. I haven't got a clue why I did ....

Anyway, on the third pump the brake pedal suddenly felt different. Once the car was warm I thought I'd just take it up the lane. Well, the break issue had gone .... So, I took it for a much longer drive and the brakes remained perfect.

As great as that is, I kind of wish it hadn't repaired itself. When I take it to the garage on Tuesday, it's going to be a lot harder to explain the issue and for him to diagnose the issue, when it's not there. I'm a actually hoping the problem comes back over the weekend.

I'm thinking something, probably in the air valve, had ceased up during the months of standing around not used ..... but I'm no mechanic !

It's still going to the garage Tuesday so he can check it all out.

• 5 months later...

Thought Id just update this thread, as there were a few other members saying they had a similar issue.

I changed the air valve on the servo a few months ago and although it did improve the issue slightly it really was still a pain and was making using the car unpleasant.

Last week I just took the servo out and returned the car back to original breaking system. The brakes are perfectly fine and there really was no need for the servo. Its now a dream to drive too !

Thanks for the many posts of advice.

Andy

I am sure you will find that the "exhaust/equalizer valve" is not releasing the vacuum when you lift your foot off the pedal. There is a small piston about 3/8 dia which operates a spring loaded diaphram valve built onto the side of the main booster cylinder when brake pressure is applied. This valve then allows the vacuum to do its job and boost the pressure on the fluid. When you take your foot off the pedal the spring returns the diaphram and resets the valve to allow the vacuum to be broken and remove all pressure from the fluid. If you ignore the problem you will reach the point where the brakes will not release