Windscreen Washers

I have just been dealing with a failure of the washers on my TR6 (new pump required) and I noticed what I thought was a blockage in the pipe from the pump to the washer jets. However, this turned out to be a brass sleeve which had been inserted in the pipe.

This sleeve is 10mm long with an opening of 3mm on the pump side and 1½mm on the washer jet side. Obviously some kind of restrictor - but why?

I may find out the answer tomorrow when I fit a new pump but can anybody throw light on reason it's there?

I haven't thrown the sleeve away in case I have to put it back!

Thanks

Roger

i have just found the same thing and am pretty sure its a non return valve.

Len

Yes its so the water doesn't drain back into the bottle causing a lag when you spray the windscreen.

Thanks Len

I now see that there a small brass ball in it. This allows me to blow from the small hole through to the large hole but not the other way. Maybe I got mixed up as to the location. It would seem obvious to insert the sleeve so that the small hole is towards the pump. Washer liquid could then easily flow from the pump but not return>

Thanks again

Roger

Nothing to do with your issue but just to say one of the causes of legonaires disease is from the water in held in car wind screen washer bottles which once sprayed atomises and is drawn back into the cabin infecting the occupants. Happened to a mate right after bringing his classic out of hibernation a few years ago and made him very ill.

To avoid its recommended you add a good dose of screen wash.

Nothing to do with your issue but just to say one of the causes of legonaires disease is from the water in held in car wind screen washer bottles which once sprayed atomises and is drawn back into the cabin infecting the occupants. Happened to a mate right after bringing his classic out of hibernation a few years ago and made him very ill.

To avoid its recommended you add a good dose of screen wash.

That sounds just awful.