Front Hub Issue

Hello Roger,

I agree with you !! I had my worries for the same reason ! Interesting enough, the famous SKF 13612 has similar dimensions!

I have a spacer between inner and outer bearing, this ensures tight fit of the inner ring not spinning on the axle. I checked the space between hub and vertical link and ensured that the hub was turning without the ring of the inner bearing. This was the case

.....I will try this configuration and remove the hub after 50 mls or so.....I have new felt seals if necessary....

Jochem

Edited by JochemsTR

There are seals availiable that look like the seals from the TR6 stubaxle seals.

They are very small, half the size of the normal seals.

I would not go that way with the spacers and the big ones.

If not availiable I would go back to the felt types.

They work in a lot of cars and can be made grease

tight also and maybe the former reason was the blocked

breather hole in the front cap.

• 9 months later...

Hello Gene, I ended up using the synthetic seal which I showed here. You can also buy these in UK.

https://www.scparts.co.uk/sc_en/catalog/product/view/id/141031

I have been driving these now for 4,000 mls....

and I was carefull with the amount of grease in the hub. Not too much.

Jochem

I've just fitted my hubs today and went for the cut down felt option as I already had them using new bearings and a new stub axle on one side.

The remaining old axle bolted up fine with the new bearings the new old was very tight with both bearing needed to be drifted on to allow the D washer and nut to go on to press the hub on. Are they supposed to be this tight pulling it back off might be fun! Saying that the old one looked like the internal bearing sleeve had been turning around the axle shaft and scored it. 

Hi Andy,

Ideally the bearing shouldn't be tight.

Being a new stub axle it a fraction oversize. Have a look for any damage or scuffs either on the bearing or the axle. 

However having fitted the bearing it may be best to leave well alone.

If you decide that you don;t like the tight bearing then remove it and then carefully measure the stub axle - you only need 0.0005" to make it stick.

If it was me I would take the stub axle back to the shop with the bearing so you can show them the problem.

Roger

Thanks Roger

In retrospect I should have used some 2000 linishing belt when it was feeling tight but the inevitable call came "Tea is on the table in 10 mins" so I rushed. Its on and it feels reasonable no play I did debate pulling it back off but like you say it would most likely destroy the bearings. Will just have to see how goes.

It's another Rimmers part that's not quite right, I don't get why a supplier this big can't spec the parts correctly. Going to try TR Shop for the next batch of parts.I'm finding renovating as many of the OEM parts a better bet just wish I had more tooling to do it like Ed.

Andy

Edited by PodOne
Rogers name spelt wrongly

The innersleeve of either bearing should slide over the stub axle without noticeable play !

I installed Uncle Jacks Kit. The Inner bearing and outer bearing are pressed with the spacer and shimms. The innersleeves do not rotate.

http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/StubAxle.htm

You can buy the kit from Goodparts. They also help against fading - spindle flex.

2077421023_UncleJacks.JPG.8681e81d062d1863820e5683a4240011.JPG

Edited by JochemsTR
19 hours ago, RogerH said:

it may be worth contacting Rimmers to say that their axles are out of spec if this is what you think.   See how they react.  You could also fill in a PQI form.

If Moss and Rimmers are still selling the wrong size felt seal, then is sounds like we need a PQI form for that issue as well. Has anybody got the data to do that?

Mick

31 minutes ago, Mick Forey said:

If Moss and Rimmers are still selling the wrong size felt seal, then is sounds like we need a PQI form for that issue as well. Has anybody got the data to do that?

Mick

Hi Mick,

I will investigate at this end.  I understand that the Spitfire felt seal is the correct size for  the TR.

Roger 

3 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Mick,

I will investigate at this end.  I understand that the Spitfire felt seal is the correct size for  the TR.

Roger 

Both felt seals were of different thicknesses and needed timing.