Advice please - Prepping underside for painting.

Hi All

I had to have some welding done on the chassis on my Tr5 and now have a fair bit of bare metal to deal with.

The rest of the underside is covered in crud and I want advice on how best to prep for painting.

I am told that many degreasers contain silicone and are therefore bad news when prepping to paint.

Any ideas experience on this gratefully received.

Cheers all

Tim

Tim,

I found a variable speed angle grinder (screwfix £50) and a couple of crimp cup wire (£4) brushes removed 95% of everything.

I started with a existing single speed angle grinder but the high speed was too vigorous for small areas hence I switched to a variable speed. Fixed high speed also created too much far flung dust.

Stripped off under seal, old paint and removed surface rust down to a treatable surface.

Alan

HHhmmmmm...search box....search box....search box = how to do it ? Let me help you.

Select Forums (that opens it up to all models including Technical) If you're viewing in New Content ( I do) it will show Forums as selected, but click on it again).

Input - Preparation Painting... in the Box (avoid 3 letter words)

Result - http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1 Now I've tried loading this link for you but it won't let me, when you select it fails to open, but if you follow the system I've outlined you'll get there fine.

This gives over 31 posts, not all covering what you want but a quick perusal shows at least 6 posts which will expand the discussions in all directions and give you what you want...without waiting for current users to read and reply to you...a marvellous facility...I use it lots.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

HHhmmmmm...search box....search box....search box = how to do it ? Let me help you.

Select Forums (that opens it up to all models including Technical) If you're viewing in New Content ( I do) it will show Forums as selected, but click on it again).

Input - Preparation Painting... in the Box (avoid 3 letter words)

Result - http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1 Now I've tried loading this link for you but it won't let me, when you select it fails to open, but if you follow the system I've outlined you'll get there fine.

This gives over 31 posts, not all covering what you want but a quick perusal shows at least 6 posts which will expand the discussions in all directions and give you what you want...without waiting for current users to read and reply to you...a marvellous facility...I use it lots.

Mick Richards

Yep

Google faster look for forum links.

Hi Tim,

Clean the metal until its shiny clean with a wire brush on a drill or a sanding disc if necessary, use a good panel wipe (I have never had a problem with Upol slow panel wipe but others are available) coat the bare metal with Bondarust primer; light tack coat, followed by at least one more wet coat. Let that dry for 24 hours then apply whatever chassis paint you want to use. In my experience, Bondarust will accept any top coat you want to throw at it 2pack or single stage. It is available in aerosol as well as sprayable.

Hope this helps.

Sean