ARP head studs for 4 Cylinder cars

Has any one had any experience, using the ARP head studs.

I am just starting a head overhaul of my 3a and looking around for the reliable consumables.

My car had two broken studs so thought I better replace all of them. But there are a few companies out there making them for a wide range of prices ARP look like they are probably the most sensible purchase if not the cheapest.

I just wondered what peoples experiences were.

RichyPoor

I've rebuilt more than 100 Triumph engines, and will never again use something else than ARP studs, especially on wet liners and Stag engines.

On a six pots, originals studs (no repros !) work well.

Conversly,

I always use good ol Triumph standard 4 cylinder studs and used nuts and washers. Clean them, inspect them, fettle them (light filing on any drag marks on threads) fit them dry.

Built 22 off 4 cylinder TR engines including 4 Register Championship winning engines, cost ? a little time (about 2 hours for all fastenings per engine) and some swaps over with other spare studs if found wanting (3 times).

I have built engines with ARP fastenings (fine fastenings) just that they cost...a lot.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Its an interesting point Jochem makes.

My thoughts were.

You can get replacement head studs from about £120 upwards from various well known suppliers. Most don't have a specification. And modern repo parts for our cars can sometimes lack in original quality and or continuity of manufacture.

ARP give a specification. Yes they are more but £130 compared to £180 is not a lot if that £180 carries a fit once and forget it.

My car has been modded so I will probably end up taking the head on and off a few times, to make sure it is right.

I have heard from a few people that some repo head studs can give trouble.

I thought I would keep my eye on eBay and snap up the first set of Stanpart studs on there for sale as new old stock. Well in 6 Months I don't think there have been any.....

So repo ones are going to have to be the way I go.

I am new to the car and triumphs so knowledge of what to get and not also more importantly from where is still all new to me.

If anyone has any thoughts on only being able to use the ARP studs twice I would really like to know.

Regards

Richy

Hi Richy, studs with limited use are normally only found on modern cars where they are tightened with tensioning equipment rather than a specific torque. This takes them into the elastic limit area where the yield, which can only be done a couple of times.

I would be surprised if any studs for use on a TR come under this usage as the rest of the engine is not designed for it.

Chris

I agree with Chris.

It depends if the bolts are yielded (or close to the materials yield stress) during installation.

In industry it is common to torque or tension bolts up to 70-90% of the minimum guaranteed yield stress per the design code for the bolt material (the actual bolt material can normally handle more).

Not sure how high the TR bolts are stressed.

The head bolts are only exposed to continuous constant stress.

Waldi

Richy

Have sent you a PM ( personal message) a few days ago and can see it's still unread - if you are not aware of what this is all about, go to the very top right hand side of this page and you will see a small image of an envelope - if you have any messages in there unread, there should be a small red marker - just click on the envelope and it will open your message box.

There is also a facility to be emailed by the forum to tell you of any new messages but I'm not sure how this works but someone else will no doubt chip in shortlly

Cheers

Rich