Bonnet problem! desperate.

8 hours ago, iani said:

There is no cable in the pics, the middle one shows the rod pushed up through the hole you need to drill, it is levered against the metal arm it is next to, that opens the catch.

Sorry to be a pain and keep asking you questions, the whole story is I’m not sure if it’s the emergency opener OR the striker pin that’s out of alignment causing the bonnet not to open.  So, I’m trying to understand, in your opinion/experience could it be the emergency opener that stops the bonnet from opening if I have a fully functioning cable opener, if you get my point ?

2 hours ago, Scotland Director said:

Sorry to be a pain and keep asking you questions, the whole story is I’m not sure if it’s the emergency opener OR the striker pin that’s out of alignment causing the bonnet not to open.  So, I’m trying to understand, in your opinion/experience could it be the emergency opener that stops the bonnet from opening if I have a fully functioning cable opener, if you get my point ?

PM sent

If you check pete’s earlier photos then it shows up quite well.  The emergency opener rotates and levers the bonnet opening catch - check out Photo from email from 27th March 18.  The problem Pete had was that if he pulled the opening rod too hard then the emergency opener over rotates as shown in the second photo from Pete on email 27 March 18.  This wouldn’t have been a problem if he had the normal cable pull attached.  

cheers

dave

11 hours ago, Scotland Director said:

Thanks for that, from the pictures I don’t see a cable, I do have a cable release, so does the emergency release flip over and prevent the catch open even if you’ve got a cable ?

If the emergency release has gone too far due to not having a limit bolt then it will ride over the end of the opening mechanism and jam it or go right past it and become useless.

Stuart.

3 hours ago, aardvark said:

If you check pete’s earlier photos then it shows up quite well.  The emergency opener rotates and levers the bonnet opening catch - check out Photo from email from 27th March 18.  The problem Pete had was that if he pulled the opening rod too hard then the emergency opener over rotates as shown in the second photo from Pete on email 27 March 18.  This wouldn’t have been a problem if he had the normal cable pull attached.  

cheers

dave

Dear Dave,

Thanks for your comments and help, I do have both a cable and emergency opener, and I can feel the cable opening the bonnet with normal resistance, so I think it’s reasonable to assume that this issue is NOT caused by the emergency opener - is that a reasonable assumption ?

Also, I had a good conversation with another member this morning and his view is if the striker pin is out of alignment then it would NOT close, therefore it’s not likely that the pin is out of alignment !

I’m getting my son - teenager, involved with a mini USB camera to try and see what exactly is happening under there.  I suppose I need to know what the actual problem is before we try to fix it !

Thanks

Stephen

3 hours ago, iani said:

PM sent

Ian, great chatting to you this morning and I highly appreciate you taking the time out to give me both encouragement and sharing your knowledge of my troubles.  If, er sorry when I fix this problem, I’ll be sure to let you know what was the cause.

Regards

Stephen

2 hours ago, stuart said:

If the emergency release has gone too far due to not having a limit bolt then it will ride over the end of the opening mechanism and jam it or go right past it and become useless.

Stuart.

Stuart,

OK that’s helpful, so it’s possible that the emergency opener could be jamming the opener from operating correctly with the normal cable operation ?

Regards

Stephen

Stephen

Please see my last post in your thread it will feel like the catch is working but if has happened like I think it has try what I first said if no joy you will have to make up what I then posted later 

No problem Stephen. If the emergency opener has over rotated then it shouldn’t foul the opener mechanism unless it was of an unusual type.  I have had something similar but in my instance the emergency opener jammed the catch open so I couldn’t shut the bonnet to make it latch. Therefore my money would be on the striker pin being out of alignment unfortunately. 

good luck

dave

5 hours ago, aardvark said:

No problem Stephen. If the emergency opener has over rotated then it shouldn’t foul the opener mechanism unless it was of an unusual type.  I have had something similar but in my instance the emergency opener jammed the catch open so I couldn’t shut the bonnet to make it latch. Therefore my money would be on the striker pin being out of alignment unfortunately. 

good luck

dave

Sorry your wrong if it goes over it will stop the catch working 

Hi all

Just a suggestion to help with the problem why not get one of these?  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C8DC-Universal-6pcs-LED-Lights-USB-Automatic-Computers-Inspection-Camera-7-0MM/303578223245?hash=item46aeac128d:g:r1MAAOSwV49ezALq

Fasten it on a cane and have a good look at what's going on in comfort it may also come in handy to make a plan getting it open. If you can see the catch bolts it might be possible to direct a socket onto them?

Andy 

3 hours ago, ntc said:

Sorry your wrong if it goes over it will stop the catch working 

This is what I was referring to .... it’s the photo from Pete earlier in the thread.  The Over rotation limiting Screw wasn’t installed and therefore there was nothing to stop an enthusiastic pull of the rod causing the over rotation.  If you look at the photo, the cam is clear of the mechanism which will snap back into a locked position by the spring tension in the lock mechanism.  Pete hadn’t got the normal cable release so couldn’t open the bonnet conventionally using the normal cable.  In Stephens case, he has got the normal cable pull as back up I think and because he still can’t open the bonnet is the reason why I think the striker pin is mis aligned.  It must be a long way out though!

056F154C-D41B-4C20-9BAF-50CB516F24A2.png

Suggest you look again that is with the bonnet open and has been put back below where it would be normally so if it goes past on pulling it will stay behind the catch and stop the std lever from opening 

Yes, think Neil is right; in the position shown in the picture above, the emergency release thing is in the “moved too far” position; pulling the emergency rod does not fix that. And it limits the movement of the striker catch lever.

The emergency release thing is a nice feature but if installed incorrect, it achieves the opposite!

The endoscope is a good idea.

Good luck,
Waldi

To my eyes, the striker catch lever is above the cam because the cam has over rotated and therefore cannot jam the mechanism because it is no longer in contact with it which is the reason Pete had a problem.

pete’s solution was to use a cane (you can see it in the photo) to move the latch lever.  If the over rotation of the emergency release cam had jammed then he wouldn’t be able to use the cane to open the latch.

Edited by aardvark

This was mentioned by someone earlier, my bonnet would not spring up and eventually I managed to push the bonnet rearward a little and to my relief it popped up, In effect you will be moving the striker away from the catch. Just hope your rear bonnet rubber cones are not too tight, good luck.

Rob

10 hours ago, Robert Price said:

This was mentioned by someone earlier, my bonnet would not spring up and eventually I managed to push the bonnet rearward a little and to my relief it popped up, In effect you will be moving the striker away from the catch. Just hope your rear bonnet rubber cones are not too tight, good luck.

Rob

Rob, thanks for that, we did try to push from the front, but will try that again.

Stephen

On 5/26/2020 at 7:07 AM, Waldi said:

Yes, think Neil is right; in the position shown in the picture above, the emergency release thing is in the “moved too far” position; pulling the emergency rod does not fix that. And it limits the movement of the striker catch lever.

The emergency release thing is a nice feature but if installed incorrect, it achieves the opposite!

The endoscope is a good idea.

Good luck,
Waldi

The endoscope has arrived, yeah !  But, I’m super busy with work this week, so it’s a weekend job.
 When I pull the emergency release it feels like the normal resistance then stops, as I would expect.  I’m no mechanic, and appreciate everyone’s brilliant assistance, and I think to me it feels like it’s operating as it should or in other words it’s not “gone over”.

So frustrating, anyway, looking forward to the weekend, another challenge !  

Regards

Stephen

On 5/26/2020 at 8:59 AM, aardvark said:

To my eyes, the striker catch lever is above the cam because the cam has over rotated and therefore cannot jam the mechanism because it is no longer in contact with it which is the reason Pete had a problem.

pete’s solution was to use a cane (you can see it in the photo) to move the latch lever.  If the over rotation of the emergency release cam had jammed then he wouldn’t be able to use the cane to open the latch.

Let’s try again if the lever goes over and is not fitted spot on when you then pull the cable lever the bracket will act as a cam and stick to the bonnet safety loop note the flat part on the one shown