Bonnet problem! desperate.

Just been for an MOT, you may remember Halfords would not carry out the Test a week or so ago, saying the car needed an inspection at a DVLA facility.

The Car went through its MOT at my local garage without a problem, but failed.

Because the bonnet wouldn't open

All else is fine.

So HOW do you get to the catch on the six, any sensible answers please.

THERE was NO cable fitted I had the Moss Emergency bonnet release system fitted, which worked very well until now.

Edited by pfenlon

I’m pretty sure i read that a long stick can be poked throug the grille and after many attempts the release lever pushed ....

Pete has the cable snapped or is it just not popping up when you pull it ? if its the latter then you may be able to get it to open by pulling on the cable whilst having an assistant push down on the bonnet above the catch mechanism

Edited by Graham

Pete has the cable snapped or is it just not popping up when you pull it ? if its the latter then you may be able to get it to open by pulling on the cable whilst having an assistant push down on the bonnet above the catch mechanism

Graham as I have now edited my post to say the Moss emergency bonnet release system was fitted and no cable.

Pete,

Unfortunately I do not think there is an easy way. Have you got a USB camera ( about £7 on Ebay) helps as you approach from underneath to see what you are doing.

But first

get a helper to pull the release and without any force lift a corner of the bonnet near RH corner of screen whilst gently pushing down on bonnet over the catch, then same at LH side just to see if it is an almost correct alignment problem. Not suggesting using any force as the catch grips harder against force.

Otherwise from underneath or possibly from front but there is a lot of navigating to do which is where a camera taped to the end of a stick helps to guide to the catch.

Alan

Hi Pete, very sorry to hear of your bonnet problems.

I've had my share of them, & found either driving the car over a speed hump, whilst pulling the bonnet release (obviously something to do with body flexing),

or thumping the bonnet with the side of your fist (like 1 potato-2 potato!), not too gently, but, obviously not too aggressively(!), above the opening mechanism,

often work.

These aren't guaranteed,

But I hope they help you.

Good Luck,

Best wishes,

Paul

With whatever release you have pulled get someone to give the bonnet a shove backwards from the front hands underneath the lip. It maybe that the emergency release has gone over centre if you havent fitted a stop pin in which case you may well struggle as no amount of jiggling will release it, possibly a trip to see Craig maybe called for.

Stuart.

I called TR Bits and spoke to Craig, he gave me an easy way of doing it. Thanks to all who have offered their suggestions, I am most grateful.

I can now get the MOT tomorrow..

see pics drill hole beneath, insert cane, and bobs your uncle. Note the Emergency release unit had somehow gone over centre due to too much play in the pivot pin.

I shall correct that, but also fit a release cable too.

post-4234-0-17523700-1522153895_thumb.jpg

post-4234-0-01538600-1522153910_thumb.jpg

post-4234-0-97222000-1522153925_thumb.jpg

Thats precisely why you should fit a stop pin on the bracket, the better kits come with that.

Stuart.

post-3753-0-94174000-1522165624_thumb.jpg

Hi Stuart and Mike,

Just to be sure I (we?) understand this:

Is the purpose of the stop pin to limit the downward movement of the rod?

Not sure I understand this.

Thanks,

Waldi

Yep looks that way, stops the lever on the bracket travelling too far...nice idea.

Thats precisely why you should fit a stop pin on the bracket, the better kits come with that.

Stuart.

attachicon.gifMarks TR5 702.jpg

Thanks for the pic Stuart, I see what you mean now.

I have shimmed the pivot and in the pic you will note the release is being held in full "Open" mode and the bracket plate the crank is operating is in a fully "Back" position.

I didn't see the need for another stop pin, for the crank for it is mechanically locked in this position.

I will fit one tomorrow though.

post-4234-0-82085700-1522177475_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

In the new TRaction mag, (technical section), there is a copy of a 1975 Triumph factory bulletin, on emergency TR6 bonnet opening, in the event of a cable failure.

It involves removing the glove box.

Cheers,

Paul.

In the new TRaction mag, (technical section), there is a copy of a 1975 Triumph factory bulletin, on emergency TR6 bonnet opening, in the event of a cable failure.

It involves removing the glove box.

Cheers,

Paul.

Indeed it does - but on a left hand drive car, not a right. Removing the glove box on right hand drive won't get you very far.

Jon.

Thanks Jon.... I hadn't thought of that!! My 1st (but probably not last) 'senior' moment for today!

Best wishes, :)

Paul.

• 2 years later...
On 3/27/2018 at 1:32 PM, pfenlon said:

I called TR Bits and spoke to Craig, he gave me an easy way of doing it. Thanks to all who have offered their suggestions, I am most grateful.

I can now get the MOT tomorrow..

see pics drill hole beneath, insert cane, and bobs your uncle. Note the Emergency release unit had somehow gone over centre due to too much play in the pivot pin.

I shall correct that, but also fit a release cable too.

post-4234-0-17523700-1522153895_thumb.jpg

post-4234-0-01538600-1522153910_thumb.jpg

post-4234-0-97222000-1522153925_thumb.jpg

Dear sir,

I found this thread, well actually forwarded onto me, I have a stuck bonnet and I’m trying to understand what happened to the emergency bonnet opener to cause it to lock the bonnet shut.  And, how can I get it undone if indeed that’s what’s causing the problem ?  Hope you can help ?

Stephen

10 minutes ago, Scotland Director said:

Dear sir,

I found this thread, well actually forwarded onto me, I have a stuck bonnet and I’m trying to understand what happened to the emergency bonnet opener to cause it to lock the bonnet shut.  And, how can I get it undone if indeed that’s what’s causing the problem ?  Hope you can help ?

Stephen

You can see where you need to drill a hole from the images, you then need some form of rod to push through it and push against the mechanism, note this is the other side of the catch from the emergency opener. As regards your emergency opener, it's missing a bolt to limit its travel, it has probably been pulled too far so he operating lever has ridden over the catch rendering it ineffective, you will need to modify it later, for now it is useless to you.

Edited by iani
4 minutes ago, iani said:

You can see where you need to drill a hole from the images, you then need some form of rod to push through it and push against the mechanism, note this is the other side of the catch from the emergency opener.

Thanks for that, from the pictures I don’t see a cable, I do have a cable release, so does the emergency release flip over and prevent the catch open even if you’ve got a cable ?

Just now, Scotland Director said:

Thanks for that, from the pictures I don’t see a cable, I do have a cable release, so does the emergency release flip over and prevent the catch open even if you’ve got a cable ?

There is no cable in the pics, the middle one shows the rod pushed up through the hole you need to drill, it is levered against the metal arm it is next to, that opens the catch.