Windscreen stanchion gasket

My car is from that late period where the stanchions mount directly to the scuttle -- no Dzus plate. I cut gaskets for my TR3B from some leftover Surlyn film (a highly abrasion resistant polymer -- the stuff used for golf ball coatings) originally intended to protect the top surface of snow skis.

One can just barely see the film here.

i-NPBCvxx-X3.jpg

Do you know what, if anything, Triumph did originally for the no-plate stanchions, Viv? My car had been apart and repainted when I got it, so there was nothing between stanchion and scuttle.

And for those who might be more familiar with the slotted Dzus plate style of stanchion, here's what the backside of those direct-to-body versions look like.

i-M2LmVFV-X3.jpg

I use a bit of thin rubber, I was fortunate to find a roll of about 0.5mm gasket rubber which works a treat

Stuart.

Don, back in the day I can't recall ever seeing later bolt-on stanchion cars with any form of soft gasket. Nor have I seen an original factory part number for one. The stanchion just went hard against the duco which chipped if the windscreen wasn't removed/refitted with great care.

Soft gaskets made of either paper, sheet rubber or the like seem to be a latter day innovation of necessity aimed at protecting the duco.

Viv

Thanks all, I was thinking about some thin rubber but having trial fitted the screen last weekend, there's so little room I suspect getting any gasket to stay in place may be a struggle.

I must admit I assumed that there wasn't any form of gasket until I was looking at Rimmers website one day and noticed that there was a gasket for post 6k cars (part number 804511G)

Thanks all, I was thinking about some thin rubber but having trial fitted the screen last weekend, there's so little room I suspect getting any gasket to stay in place may be a struggle.

I must admit I assumed that there wasn't any form of gasket until I was looking at Rimmers website one day and noticed that there was a gasket for post 6k cars (part number 804511G)

Noted as no longer available from Rimmer Bros.

The film I used is thin -- like 0.010 - 0.015 in or so, and self-adhesive. No worries about room or staying in place.