Diesel Disaster

Having finally got the car back up and running (new diff, new rear hubs) I was delighted to wake up to a glorious spring morning - the perfect opportunity to fill the tank and take the car for a good run. As I imagined the wonderful roads I could take, I realised I had just filled up with diesel. I didn't start the car and got a recovery truck to take us home when I now plan to drain the tank.

Having done so, my plan will be to fill it with petrol, not letting it drop below half full for a few tankfuls in order to dilute any residue as much as possible. However, I was wondering if anyone would suggest any other steps to clean the tank etc?

Steve

Make sure you drain the full tank capacity down including anything in the swirl pot etc. If you didn't run the engine there should be no need to change the filter or bleed the fuel lines.

Diesel fuel mixed in spark ignition engine fuel is not the disaster that petrol is in a common rail diesel engine.

You will probably find the car will smoke a little (or lot depending on how much diesel is left) for the first tankful of petrol or so, I don't know how diesel would affect things like the pump or MU, but as it is an oily substance and will burn above 600 deg. the engine shouldn't suffer.

Well, Ive drained the tank & forced out as much as I can with compressed air, stuck a little unleaded in & drained that too. Cleaned the pre-filter and filled up with unleaded.

Couple of puffs of smoke in the first half mile but nothing thereafter, so hopefully disaster averted.

Diesel in a petrol car - absolutely no problem, except you may have to clean out the plugs.

I put half a tank of diesel into my TR6/Lucas Pi engined Vitesse. My only excuses were that this was on the return from Classic Le Mans - I was, well, tired!

It burnt smokily for two whole tankfuls of petrol, eventually I had to clean the plugs at the road side.

Thereafter no probs.

It's petrol in a diesel that's disaster.

John

Been there done that. Agree diesel in petrol engine is no disaster unlike petrol in a diesel car.

Depends on the percentage but 25%diesel just fills the air with pretty white smoke.

Incidentally I believe that it is diesel that the Red Arrows use for white smoke and there is nowt wrong with their engines.

Alan

Not a disaster - just drain it out and dispose appropriately of the contaminated fuel.

Put a gallon or two of fresh fuel in and run it as low as you can before filling.

It will pink more on the first tank and smell like you are behind a bus. Running it near to empty will achieve a faster clearance than topping up at half a tank.

Had the same problem a couple of years when Tesco had filled one of their underground petrol tanks with diesel.

• 4 years later...

Put diesel in my tr by mistake drove it about 2 miles.Emptied tank and filled with petrol bled injectors into glass jars tried starting a couple of coughs and nothing plugs cleaned numerous times good spark.Car will not start help.

Maybe disconnect the MU feed line and bleed it into a container until you get pure petrol, or disconnect at the pump and MU and blow it clear, then bleed the injectors with the choke wide open. There will probably still be some residual diesel left mixed  in the petrol, this will burn with copious white smoke.

Edited by Mike C

Don't bother cleaning the plugs. Put new or known good 2nd hand ones in. Plugs soaked in petrol are often useless, in diesel can only be worse.

Thanks for replying all will continue with flushing injectors into glass jar and try new plugs.

• 7 months later...
On 3/28/2023 at 7:58 PM, wibago said:

When changing the fuel filter what are y'all doing with the small amount of diesel that was inside the old filter? In the past I've mixed it with used motor oil and dropped it off for recycling. This time when I tried to do that I didn't have any dirty motor oil so it was just a jar of clear-looking diesel and after asking what it was the guy at the auto parts store told me they couldn't accept it because they only take used oil, not fuels due to "flammability". He directed me to a household hazardous waste drop-off site, which I'm not eligible to utilize because I travel full time and am not a resident of the county whose taxation funds the program. I've certainly thought about just adding it back to the tank (how clean are gas station pump nozzles anyway?), but before I do something stupid and clog up my fuel system I'm curious what others are doing..

Diesel makes very good penetrating fluid on rusted fixings/seized engines etc, don't throw it away!