Just broken my TR4 windscreen

Hi all, can someone advise me on the best place to get a correct sized windscreen for my TR4. Bought a new triplex screen and seal from a well known Triumph spares shop as my old one was cracked, before fitment I measured against old unit and noticed was larger all round but assumed the new rubber would take this into consideration. CRACK! Just broke the new screen trying to fit. Fitted plenty of old screens/windows before using the old paracord trick but not this time.

Hi,

I cracked by orig tr6 triplex when installing a new rubber, in fairness it went through an existing small stonechip. I obtained quotes from various screen fitting companies which seemed a bit high so decided to give it one more go. I went for the cheaper screen from Moss (made by URO I think), re-used the new TR shop rubber which seemed to fit quite well.

I warmed the rubber up over a towel on a radiator, bought the screen indoors and put near another radiator used a well known personal lubricant and all went to plan. I did put the rubber on the screen first then put in chrome filler strip, then fitted the whole lot into the car using the cord method.

Very pleased with the fit.

Good luck,

John

Hi,

I would have expected the Triplex to be the better fit, I only went for the cheaper option as the financial risk was much lower if I broke the second screen, it did fit my car well though. Was your existing screen you measured against an original Triplex. They spend a lot of time and effort to make accurate screens.

Perhaps it would be wise to wait for others to comment on their experience.

Regards,

John

The screen on my TR4 had been de-laminating for some years, and by last summer it was difficult for the passenger to see through the left bottom part, and it was beginning to get misty at bottom right.

Whilst at Revington in September, I had a new, plain, laminated screen 906707 fitted - the screen (see Moss's site) is about £71 plus VAT.

Dan and Carl advised me to have the old rubber and chrome re-fitted because they consider that it offers a better fit. This was done.

Removal of the old screen and fitting of the new is not a 5-minute job, even for 2 fellows who are very skilled and who have fitted a number of screens!

The screen proved watertight when I took John Hanna to an event some 50 miles away in February and it poured all day. We drove through some monstrous puddles which threw rain over the roof!

BTW, I did not consider tinted or heated screen necessary, although these are available.

Ian Cornish

Ian Cornish