Brake light switch type

Hello Angus

I broke my "original" brake light switch at the beginning of the year, and asked the same question on the forum, general consensus of opinion was to fit a BMW switch cost less than a tenner on EBay and looks like it will last a lifetime. Simple fit goes straight in to the hole at the front of the brake master cylinder, you may have to bend the metalwork a little to get it to fit centrally it's simply set open / on by the brake actuating leaver

David

Edited by david c

Its a micro switch operated by the top of the brake pedal arm,

Original was white plastic, repros aren't up to much at all, - hence using the metal BMW one that fits the same bracket.

John.

I think the TR4s had the hydraulic switch and the 4A had the mechanical switch.

+1 for the BMW switch and I shall be fitting one to my 4 at the appropriate time in its restoration.

Graham

Hello,

Looking at the picture of Tom's switch, he has it screwed with no threads showing at the pedal side.

Looking at the photo of Bob's switch, he has about 1/3 inch of thread showing.

I've fitted a switch recently and not too sure how the pedal should hang. (Not going to be on the road for several months yet.)

Obviously, the more the "Switch push end" of the pedal is from the switch, the close the pedal "Foot end" is to the bulkhead.

A small amount of gap at the top must equate to quite a difference at the foot end.

Does this matter?

Charlie D

Also the hole in the pedal arm/clevis pin is subject to being 'Ovalised' in use, and that will be different car to car.

Incidentaly a really easy fix, just weld up with a MIG and redrill.

John,

My cylinders have adjustable push rods, & are set such that the top of the pedal is not resting on the switch, it is in it's natural rest position.

The switch was adjusted up to it so that it just switches off (plus a bit).

Looking at Tom's push rods they are at maximum length.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Many thanks for all the advice. Especially for the pictures. The body on my TR4A is off and has no parts on it, certainly no brake pedal. I am working on the chassis having fitted front and rear suspension and brakes. It is now time for the brake pipes, hence my question on the type of stop switch and now I won't worry about where the switch fits in the hydraulics. It fits on the pedal!

Angus

Edited by Angus

all this talk of brake light switches has caused mine to fail on our early tr4 it a pressure switch in the brake pipe circiut. others on other threads have converted to the later type operating by the master cylinder . my queston is are both the same methot of oprtation (Press to make circiut) and is just a simple extension of wires from the bowels of the engine up to the new switch on the master cyl? Thanks in advance.

I am llate to this but pictures are attached of my brake light switch which I think is the original one from the factory - yes still working!!!!

I think Rimmers offer a TR6 White plastic one as an alternative but I hear the quality is shocking!!!!

Beaulieu is only a few weeks away. You'll find an original one there but be prepared to spend hours looking.

I have detailed pictures of the switch here: http://tr4a.weebly.com/master-cylinders--brake-switch.html

Best wishes.

Paul.

post-11421-0-82694800-1522373808_thumb.jpgpost-11421-0-14384300-1522373808_thumb.jpg

Just to add a bit of background info.

I used the standard pressure brake light switch on my TR4

after rebuild. That was a few years ago (8-10).

I found that there was a faulty batch of pressure-actuated

switches - this showed up on the MOT when an INORDINATE

amount of pressure was required to actuate the brake lights.

I fitted a new pressure-activated switch about 3-4 years ago

and now, all is well.

AlanR

Heres an install on a TR4 with a nice bolt on stainless bracket:

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/group/devon/social-report/2016/12/0590/In-the-Garage-Christmas-Edition

....and here is the more involved TR3 install:

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/group/devon/social-report/2017/10/0855/In-the-Garage-Autumn-Edition

Edited by Drewmotty
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all,
this thread gave me the idea to look for a BMW brake light switch of the E114 E10 models and kick out that white plastic something of my TR4A.
I am very lucky that I was able to buy an original one for little money. I'm shure that will look like it was original this way.

Ciao Marco

Edited by Z320