Cardboard Heat Deflector Missing

Just noticed that on my TR6 this is missing...

My biggest worry is the car overheating on a hot day in stop start traffic in town...

Does it do more of a job in keeping the heat down in this sort of situation or on the open road?

Hi Jogger! If you are talking about the Cardboard Heat Deflector that is in front of the Rad to Grill ? Yes it does as it forces cool air through the rad core and guides cool air to the air filter unit. In my view it s/b there!!

​Bruce.

In my experience the new cardboard versions will weather rapidly to such a point that you will probably feel the need to replace it in a year or two. The Ali versions will last forever but cost twice as much - approx 40 to 50 quid and arguably look much better.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Jogger! If you are talking about the Cardboard Heat Deflector that is in front of the Rad to Grill ? Yes it does as it forces cool air through the rad core and guides cool air to the air filter unit. In my view it s/b there!!

​Bruce.

That's the one thanks...Sounds like I should get one pronto!

In my experience the new cardboard versions will weather rapidly to such a point that you will probably feel the need to replace it in a year or two. The Ali versions will last forever but cost twice as much - approx 40 to 50 quid and arguably look much better.

Cheers

Dave

Haven't seen the ali ones...Is there not any concern about metal to metal rubbing on the rad?

Cheers

Dave

Not my experience, the cardboard one on my 4a is now 25yrs old and still works and looks fine. Ali or Stainless ones will destroy the rad with the slightest nudge in the front of the car whereas the cardboard one wont and would still allow you to drive the car.

Stuart.

Not my experience, the cardboard one on my 4a is now 25yrs old and still works and looks fine. Ali or Stainless ones will destroy the rad with the slightest nudge in the front of the car whereas the cardboard one wont and would still allow you to drive the car.

Stuart.

+1

Stuart.

I did say the new ones dont weather well.

If the slightest nudge is enough is move the Ali rad shroud then I recon youve had a significant frontal. Theres a lot of metal to bend up front before the impact reaches the Ali shroud.

Stuart.

I made my own stainless steel cowling on the 4A and my main concern is any front impact, no matter how light, may well take the rad out.

I've been thinking about a corrugates stainless on; but I haven't ever seen corrugated stainless.

Roger

Thickness of the metal is key. Its in plane stiffness needs to be less than that of the bonnet so that the load is taken by the bonnet. Avoid thick steel shrouds, look for thin Ali instead. That way, if it does see an impact, it will corrugate by itself. As Ive said, an impact sufficient to transfer through the main front structure and via the shroud to break the rad would, in my opinion, give you some personal injury worries such that a broken rad wont be high on your mind.

Thickness of the metal is key. Its in plane stiffness needs to be less than that of the bonnet so that the load is taken by the bonnet. Avoid thick steel shrouds, look for thin Ali instead. That way, if it does see an impact, it will corrugate by itself. As Ive said, an impact sufficient to transfer through the main front structure and via the shroud to break the rad would, in my opinion, give you some personal injury worries such that a broken rad wont be high on your mind.

Any impact lower than the bonnet edge will do it Im afraid, i.e. towbar or rear bumper on any other classic or an animal

Stuart.

I removed the cardboard airduct with the thought of installing a nice metal version. Unfortunately, the fit wasn't that well. I decided to leave it off completely. I did not find any cooling issues during my trips in the Dolomites. I am running with 2 temperature sensors and SPAL elec. fan. Good or bad cooling all depends on how well the system is maintained.

Regards

Jochem