New Propshaft required

Seems my TR4 propshaft needs a complete rebuild Turns out its also a tad expensive here in NZ to get done, just wondered whether anyone knew whether there is another propshaft that can be used on a TR4 without any modification required, in case I can source another alternative to a full rebuild.

cheers Jim

Is it the splines that are worn out or the ujs? If its the ujs they available and fairly easy to replace

Cheers

Alan

Edited by Kiwifrog

Thanks Alan, yes the splines are well worn thats the main issue, The UJ's are cheap and easily done if thats all it was. We have an option to get a new Propshaft in x moss via an indent order thru our local TR register, But before doing that I thought I would see if there is another compatible option anyone knew about. Cheers

As far as I am aware, the prop is the same on the TR5-6 as well - same part number on the Moss site.

Alternatively, look for a good scrap prop from another car, with a similar diameter and a splined sliding bit and get a local engineering shop to cut it off and reweld on your prop, then rebalance - the splined bit doesn't have to be exactlly the same as the old TR one as long as it allows the same movement.

Cheers

Rich

These guys do a very good uprated prop for the TR and at a good price if you know anyone coming over.No website but contact details here.

https://www.yell.com/biz/proptech-ltd-kidderminster-7183165/

Stuart.

These guys do a very good uprated prop for the TR and at a good price if you know anyone coming over.No website but contact details here.

https://www.yell.com/biz/proptech-ltd-kidderminster-7183165/

Stuart.

+1

Roger

Hi Jim

My wife and I had a brilliant 2 weeks in January touring around the South Island. It was my first time to S.I and everything about it was wonderful. I would have like to have rented a TR for the trip but could not find one so we picked up a 1970 Alfa Spider in Nelson. My son has a Spider so I do know about them but this one performed flawlessly. Where are you? We are already planning a return to NZ next summer (yours).

Good luck with the prop shaft, sorry, do not have one lurking in my shed.

Cheers

Simon

There is someone in Hamilton - ATL http://www.atlbalancing.co.nz/services.html

or Drive Shaft in Auckland - http://www.driveshaftnz.co.nz/about-us

Any Use ? ...not if you are on SI.

Peter W

http://www.atlbalancing.co.nz/services.html

ATL Balance and Driveline CONTACT

t e l e p h o n e : +64 (07) 847 9182 f a x : +64 (07) 957 2829 a d d r e s s :

32 Commerce St

Hamilton

New Zealand

Thanks Everyone for your replies, Sorry I have been traveling for work in the last week and forgot I had posted a question till now,

Stuart couldn't get the link to open here, Peter I have noted those companies and there service here in NZ, its no problem getting one made etc its just the local cost.

The shafts offered by Moss currently does anyone know how good they are? as the list price is approx 2/3 the rebuild cost quoted here in NZ. Our local Tr Register does an indent order x moss a couple of times a year and that effectively minimises the freight to here, that's why it is an attractive option depending on quality. I dont need the shaft in a hurry as the tub is still at the painters and I have a lot of work to do in reassembly before the shaft will be spinning.

Alec do you know if one of your complete spare shafts is as good as new in the spline dept. more than happy to look at a freight cost, and or purchase if you have a spare good shaft that requires no extra work. i imagine freight will be huge on such a heavy item if sent as individual package.

Any thoughts on Moss props?

Simon

I live in Christchurch in the SI, as it turns out I am in Germany over Christmas / new Year but if you are around our part of the world I am happy to meet and/ host a register member let me know your plans the SI is the best part of NZ so you should visit again.

If anyone is over here in last week Feb / early March 2019 NZ has its annual Tr nationals weekend based on the west coast of the South Island (that year) which includes a 4 day "after tour" run round the best of the south Island. We can likely fit some visitors into the program i'm sure

Cheers Jim

Hi Jim,

You're welcome to a prop, carriage cost is down to you, and I'd suggest a modest donation to a local charity of your choice.

I'll have my ace mechanic pal Jeff inspect them again for the best item - we did pick out one quite recently (for Jeff's own TR6), binned a couple as not shagged but not worth the effort of retaining given spline wear, the rest all seemed decent enough. A couple felt OK to slot straight in without even changing UJs.

It may well save a chunk of carriage to send a bare prop devoid of flange yoke/s ? If you have good yokes ?

I probably have a couple of H-S or equal calibre UJs if they're required but not obtainable locally . . . .

Carriers I normally use are https://uk.interparcel.com/ - not the cheapest, but bombproof UPS service in my experience. Fear not, if I pack something it stays packaged, nothing ever gets damaged, period.

Advise your thoughts, please.

Cheers,

Alec

FWIW props from solid axle cars usually have a lot less spline wear than IRS cars as the sliding spline actually does its job over a greater range on them whereas on IRS the wear is in pretty much one place.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Jim,

one prop that has negligible spline wear and good UJs both ends, probably better overall than a new one recently fitted to a friend's TR6. As far as I can see, it must go back to a low miles TR4 dismantled back in the 1980s, pukka Stanpart of course.

All it needs is cleaning, which I wouldn't do here for fear of hydrocarbons upsetting airport sniffers !

Carriage to NZ, weight 8-9kgs, insured, via Interparcel's Landmark Global service should be just about £50 packed bombproof. Never used Landmark, they're a slow (7-10 day) economy service, but if Interparcel use them there shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers

Alec

Edited by Alec Pringle

Thanks Alec, if you are happy to organize and pack up the shaft that would be appreciated, additionally if you send me details I will transfer the necessary monies. will pm you details to reply to

Thanks appreciate it