Does Anybody Own, or Know Who Owns TR4 CT14270L?

Hi Simon,

what year was the car. Your commission number could be either as you state CT14270L

or if it was a very early car with overdrive then it could be CT1427 O L ( O for overdrive and L for LHD)

Do you know the Reg Nr.

Roger

HI Roger

No, definitely as stated - non overdrive.

I have been through the zero for O saga with the DVLA with a TR5 I owned. They would not change the zero for an O, but did agree to leave a gap between it and the rest of the number.

The TR4 was a 1962 white dash car. It was never UK registered, but had a C&E 386 customs certificate as imported from the USA by a previous owner to me. Obviously, I passed that on to the next owner when I sold it.

Thanks Simon

I don't know how he organises his records, but Jon Marshall TR4/4A Registrar) might be able to search for this number and, if he were to find it, contact the owner on your behalf.

Ian Cornish

Hi Graham,

mine is CT62xx and is 19th March 62, so yours would be pretty close behind - probably March as well.

Roger

It has just been pointed out to me that my TR4 is 56 years old today.

All together Now Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday dear..........................................................................

Roger

Hi Roger

It is in the 14xxx's - CT14270L as stated. Not sure where the confusion is there.

I was 10 in the late 60's, and have never owned a Bond micro car, so not me.

In my experience, there could be a considerable time difference between when it was manufactured and when it was actually sold and registered in the US, which may be the date on the C&E certificate.

Only the factory record would record the build date accurately, but C&E stated 1962, which could be months away from the build date.

Thanks anyway, Simon

Just to add some more info, my TR4 was built on the 23rd March 1962 ( birthday coming up very shortly!) with a chassis number CT 660X - L - it was exported to Walter Hagen & Co in Germany on the 29th March via Kings Lynn aboard a ship called "Nieuwland", according to the BMIHT Cert.

Compared to Roger's car, built 4 days earlier, mine is between 3-400 units later, so it looks like they were making approx 100 units a day.

It's interesting to compare that to 2 TR4As I also have access to where the first one was built on the 5/8/65 with a chassis number of CTC 580XX, and the second one was built a day later on the 6/8/65 with a chassis number 51 higher - without knowing the actual time of production, the daily range for both models could be similar or it could be that TR4 daily production was typically twice that of the 4A at the dates we are looking.

Anyway, food for thought and hopefully of some interest

Cheers

Rich