Dumbest question....to date

It's the simplest things that take silly amounts of time.

Finished installing new / refurbished dashboard today....almost.

I can't be the only one that has this nagging little problem.

The glove box lid it's a bu**er to fit and when fitted it won't latch, I think I must be missing something, it's the little sticky up catch thing I can't see how it would ever catch on the little sticky down thing. In it's up position it is level with the top of the lid, should it be sticking up more?

Told you it was a daft question.

David.

If the sticky-up bit stuck up beyond the top of the lid it would damage the wood at the top of the glove box aperture when you closed it, so the fault must be with the sticky down bit.

(Isn't the English language wonderful)

Pete

Fairly sure it's the right way round, I have tried both ways and the way it is now it comes close.. but no banana.

If push comes to shove I'll make up a custom thingy, but it must have worked right when it was built.

Having had a look on Google images it looks to e like my sticky up thing may not be sticking up enough, I'll give it a drop of oil and a waggle tomorrow, It certainly poses no danger to the main dashboard at the moment.

Oddly enough I have just lashed out £20 on a little camera on a stiff wire, another avenue to explore.

Thanks for your replies David

For "sticky down thing" read striker plate, I should have known It had a proper name, I bet there is even a name for the sticky up thing too. :)

David

For "sticky down thing" read striker plate, I should have known It had a proper name, I bet there is even a name for the sticky up thing too. :)

David

The sticky up thing could be called a 'pawl'. Usually associated with a ratchet.

Roger

David

Have you got the finger pully underneathy bit in place - that will lift the sticky uppy thingy bit and bring it closer to the sticky downer thingy bit so it might then catchy.

Alternatively you could try putting some spacer neither sticky downy or sticky uppy but underneathy bits between the hingy and dashy to lift the cubby thingy uppy.

Are you sure you reveneered the righty side of the cubby liddy thingy? Is the cubby liddy locky thing hole machined at right angles or slopy because if the latter and wrongy way round, then it will be pointy down despite being a pointy up thingy and therefore missing the pointy downy thingy - if you see what I mean :blink:

Cheers

Richy

Hello Richard

Yes got the finger pull in place, I may be a bit divy at times but I know I have the veneer on the right side

But thinking about it the little "U" shaped keepie in place thingy does sit at a funny angle on the back of the lid / catch, will have to look at that maybe that's the answer?

But getting that to sit flat would produce a strange angle for the lock, is a puzzle init.

Thanks all for your help on what is after all not a critical problem.

David

if the wooden dash isn't sitting real flat against the metal dash then the cubby door won't latch. You may want to check if it's properly assembled or if there's something in the way preventing it to sit against the metal dash i.e. wire, screw, air vent, etc...

If the problem is with the striker plate you could simply fabricate a slightly deeper one from a suitable piece of metal sheet. I did this for my car many moons ago.

Tim

Despite the arctic cold I braved the elements today, having informed her indoors that if Im not back in half an hour etc.

Looked at all the points raised, the dash perhaps could go back a 16th but I don't think that's going to be enough to solve the "problem"

Think I'll get the hacksaw outy and malfunction an offer won, thundermold!

David

Stanley Unwin, my hero :)

I thought I was the only one in having problems with latching the glovebox lid! I (like Alan) filmed it with my phone inside the glovebox to see why it was not working. Bloody difficult to see as the latch is on the top of the lock. So moved the latch back and forwards.Then re-bent the latch one way then the other and all of a sudden it worked. Did notice the finger pull threw a spanner in the works and put the lock into a different attitude though.

One of the jobs I hate as you can spend hours on it with nothing to show.

Regards Harry

No, I have a similar problem in that after multiple adjustments (up - down by spacers, and in- out ) of the striker plate the lock still does not engage properly and the lid sometimes opens slightly when driving. I gave up trying a while ago but I might try the filming by phone inside trick. And checking if the wooden dash is sitting properly but I recall checking the fixings a little while ago.

Paul

I have had this problem recently on both a TR6 and TR4 when I put in new locks. The new versions I believe are close but not identical to the orginals. Specifically, the sticky uppy thing is a bit larger on the new ones I had. Some careful grinding on that offending part was all it took to fix things for me.

All sorted today.

In the end I went for the make it yourself option, which took rather less time than I had spent fiddling about.

It looks a little odd with one small sticky downy thing and would present few problems if some ne'er do well wanted to get it open and make off with my "gloves" but at least they wont need to damage the woodwork, and it shouldn't drop open over every bump.

Thanks again all. David