Hi Torque Starter Motors

Learned Gentlemen

Sorry to drag this one up again but my TR4 Lucas starter motor is beginning to expire and I am considering having it reconditioned or buying a Hi Torque one. The last postings on this subject was back in 2016 with various fors and againsts with poor quality being an issue. I wonder what is the current thinking and advice, which makes are the most reliable and who are the recommended suppliers ? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers Chris

Hi Chris ~

I have a WOSP hi-torque starter motor ready to fit to my 1965 'E'-type Jaguar. These starters come highly rated.

The starter fitted to my 3A is a Denso I believe. Very reliable.

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049

Hi Chris,

high performance starters just one: WOSP. They carry Denso. Worth every penny.

In your case LMS007

http://www.wosperformance.co.uk/products/starter-motors/

Jochem

For a TR4 with bolt-on ring gear the application list says LMS006

Hi Mike ~

My experience with heatshields has been tragic! I'll leave my existing set-up as it stands. To hell if the S/S manifold falls to pieces!

I'm afraid that this Forum has been very confusing regarding heat insulating S/S manifolds ~ one minute it's THE thing to do

then it's not???

Tom.

Hi Tom,

you are quite right. Every sort of answer to the wrap issue.

The problem is that the answers are supplied by enthusiastic owners - not experts that have done extended trials on this that and the other.

Over a short period the wrap will do no harm. After years of hot/cold/wet/dry cycles problems may happen.

I would have thought that the slow cooling period would have been good for SS - it doesn't like shock.

I have also heard that wrap will kill Mild steel tubes.

Heat shield should have not problems with ancillaries - Alt/Starter/carbs etc.

I use the ceramic coating and after about 11 years all is well.

Roger

Hi Dave

I have had the car since 1970 and I think it is the original starter motor and has been recondition at least twice so I thought a third time I may be pushing my luck thus considering a Hi Torque one .

Cheers Chris

The starter on my last 6 was original, tired and flattened the battery very quickly, i replaced with a WOSP and it was very good.

Turned the engine over quickly and preserved battery, tested extensively when i had an ignition problem !

Current 6 has a reconditioned original lucas starter, which also works excellently and doesnt drain the battery anything like as fast as the old tired one did. It lives next to a racetorations exhaust and gets hot, doesnt seem to mind.

So either option could be good for you.

The WOSP does sound very different, some dont like the sound which is perhaps a bit ‘modern’ ?

Steve

I fitted a PowerLite starter motor, model number RAC 102, on my 4A over 6 years (30K+ miles) ago and have been delighted with it. No issues to date. Eurolec Components, tel 01384 261984. www.eurolec-components.co.uk

tim

Hi again Chris ~

In my humble opinion it is advisable to wrap the starter in heat reflective material, as per the photo.

My 3A is fitted with a S/S four branch manifold which is also clad in heat resisting tape.

Tom.

Wrapping - bandaging Matron would be proud of Tom ????

I would imagine a wrapped ss manifold would still out last most of us.

H

When I first bought my S/S manifold I read on this Forum that wrapping it in heat resisting tape was advisable.

Having done that I then read that wrapping was a bad thing to do so I removed the manifold and stripped off the (expensive) tape.

Then I read that wrapping the manifold was THE thing to do. So off, once again, with the manifold and re-wrap it in heat resistant tape!

Now I read that the wrapping is NOT a good thing to do ~ so to Hell with all this conflicting 'information'. The tape stays on!

Please find fault in something else ~ which I shall ignore!

Tom.

The fact that wrapping is widely used in Motorsport must mean something? I will leave mine on!

Any Motorsport comments Mick?

Cheers.

When I first bought my S/S manifold I read on this Forum that wrapping it in heat resisting tape was advisable.

Having done that I then read that wrapping was a bad thing to do so I removed the manifold and stripped off the (expensive) tape.

Then I read that wrapping the manifold was THE thing to do. So off, once again, with the manifold and re-wrap it in heat resistant tape!

Now I read that the wrapping is NOT a good thing to do ~ so to Hell with all this conflicting 'information'. The tape stays on!

Please find fault in something else ~ which I shall ignore!

Tom.

Sounds like you are an expert wrapper now! :D