On 8/2/2021 at 2:33 PM, qkingston said:

Thanks Ian, I think that's how I understand the DVSA website, but it doesn't seem to cover the change that has occurred with the no MOT requirement; I just wondered if anyone had crossed that bridge recently?

Rgds

David

You need to have the car registered as historic for it to be mot exempt. I guess you will need to get the car registered with the correct reg number first, and hence an mot before you can apply for historic status.

On 8/2/2021 at 2:15 PM, qkingston said:

Thank you

David

David, ( edit . Quote of your original question went wrong!!!)

yes you can cos I did. As well as the usual paperwork, see dvla site, you need to send a V112. This is a declaration that the car is historic.  

see my forum post ‘ex-USA import. Registration success’  posted March 12, 2019 on TR4A forum. ( sorry, don’t know how to link to this thread but google for it). Didn’t need an mot on my import. 

However, I understand from this forum that the dvla may choose to require an inspection before providing a registration and reg number.  Not clear what that entails but heard horror stories if you google on here. Not clear why they require some but not all. 

so, send a V112. Also an ORIGINAL BMH heritage cert assuming your identified parts, engine, commission and body numbers correspond. You may want to be economical about how you have rebuilt the car so as not to worry them that it is not original. I sent photos of the commission and body numbers on the car. 

Pm me if you require any further info. 
david b

Edited by David B2
  • 1 month later...

So almost 5 weeks to the day I received my V5C and new registration number, which I thought was pretty good! No questions asked and no inspector visit required. Also, to correct some of the comments provided previously, they do not require an MOT certificate if you supply a V112 as David states above. (Before anyone comments on that, yes I will obviously get an MOT done when the restoration is completed, but the V112 allowed me to get ahead of the game with the DVLA). It really wasn't difficult if you follow the guidance :)

Regards

David