hi mr pringle,, re mot man in the day job, i had a land rover failed on a broken rear spring. the series3 rover is manufactured with an expansion gap in 1leaf,i had to take the british leyland workshop manual around to the know all before i could gain a mot cert.regards steve

Took my 3a to my local tester on Saturday.

It passed with no advisories.

He knows I use it for sprints etc.

He has one himself.

We discussed this no need legally for MOT and the benefit of his extra pair of eyes.

Went to club meeting on Sunday. On the way I had to test the brakes to the full as a golf was U turning across me from a lay-by.

Pulled up in time with the slightest lock up and in a straight line.

Competition is so much safer than the road !!

Roll on curborough sprint on 20th May.

H

The 6 gets done on Friday. There seems to be a requirement that modified capacity engine remove the exemption:

https://www.footmanjames.co.uk/blog/mot-exemption-modified-classics

better safe than sorry !

Peter

The question whether fitting rack and pinion steering to a side screen car invalidates its right to MOT free status is interesting.

There is no doubt as Bill Piggot highlighted that according to the Guidance notes the fitting R & P steering is a substantial change. But the guidance notes also say:

"..... changes that are made to preserve a vehicle, which in all cases must be when original type parts are no longer reasonably available...."

​As most of the main original side screen steering components are now no longer available new, and many second hand parts will be worn out, is this sufficient to argue the case that the MOT free status should be retained for a car uprated to R & P ?

In my case it is academic as I consider it essential to have an experienced pair of eyes look over the car regularly.

The principle of getting an MOT is fine but no classic is going to pass an emission test so unless they relax the test requirement in respect of emissions.....

Rgds Ian

Emission testing has not been applied to cars older than 1974 for decades. only requirement was no excessive smoke from exhaust

Bob.

Interesting to see the above sentiments.

Many years ago the Australian Capital Territory went from an annual over the Government pits check, before rego renewal, to no check at all.

I was one of the ones who thought disaster would result, and very quickly.

This has not happened.

Every now and then you see a car ahead with one brake light out, or one dud headlight bulb. Obviously an area where someone a bit hard up financially is going to save a few bob instead of getting the car fixed.

But despite my concerns the accident rate does not appear to have changed.

The nearby state of NSW has an annual inspection, but done by private authorised garages. (sounds a bit like your setup.)

Edited by littlejim

MOT's are not very accurate unless carried out by a marque expert. Better you go to someone who knows the car and get it tested. I am sure experts will soon be offering a service.

Also they are so variable around the world. In the country I live in they are very stringent on brakes and emission but dont give a hoot (pun intended) regards horn noise, washer bottles and more worryingly some suspension rubbers.

Interesting to see the above sentiments.

Many years ago the Australian Capital Territory went from an annual over the Government pits check, before rego renewal, to no check at all.

I was one of the ones who thought disaster would result, and very quickly.

This has not happened.

Every now and then you see a car ahead with one brake light out, or one dud headlight bulb. Obviously an area where someone a bit hard up financially is going to save a few bob instead of getting the car fixed.

But despite my concerns the accident rate does not appear to have changed.

The nearby state of NSW has an annual inspection, but done by private authorised garages. (sounds a bit like your setup.)

Jim, it is the same here in BC, Canada. No annual test since the mid seventies and no apparent increase in accidents.

Still, I am sure the MOT generates a lot of cash for the UK government.

Graeme

Cheers

Graeme

Edited by graeme

Is it worth going to the effort of an MOT test to maintain an accurate verification of mileage and vehicle health, I for one will be maintaining an MOT record for my car regardless of requirement.

Applied for license renewals for 2 classics. Post Office took a look at V112 for each and handed them back. System had already been updated to indicate that MOT was not required.

Of course I will continue to have my classics periodically safety checked, but at my leisure based on miles covered.

Paul ,

I don’t think an MOT certificate can really be used as “an accurate verification of mileage”.

It’s so easy to turn the odometer back on old Smiths Speedos that what it says on the dial is meaningless.

You can always tell if an old speedo has been “Clocked”.

Just take the case off and look for the tell tale signs.

The most obvious is that someone has written inside the case in felt tip pen;

“Oh No !!! Not AGAIN !!!”

Charlie.

• 3 years later...
On 5/3/2018 at 2:08 PM, qkingston said:

I agree with the sentiment that getting an annual MOT remains the sensible thing to do. Picking up on Jogger's point above, anyone got a clue on whether an MOT is required to get a US import registered if the car is now MOT exempt (65 TR4a); I read thru the DVLA website blurb but it's not clear to me, they still refer to the vehicle being roadworthy which would be difficult for a pre-restoration car!

David

Apologies for re-cycling an old post of mine, but it never got a reply and I am now close to getting the car in a near completed condition (fully painted on completed rolling chassis - electrics/trim etc to complete), I would like to get the registration process going now that the DVSA offices have re-opened. So can anyone help with the question above? If the car doesn't require an MOT (yes I will get one when car is complete, circa end of year), can I get the ex US car registered without an MOT?

Thank you

David

I agree with the sentiment that getting an annual MOT remains the sensible thing to do. Picking up on Jogger's point above, anyone got a clue on whether an MOT is required to get a US import registered if the car is now MOT exempt (65 TR4a); I read thru the DVLA website blurb but it's not clear to me, they still refer to the vehicle being roadworthy which would be difficult for a pre-restoration car!

David

Apologies for re-cycling an old post of mine, but it never got a reply and I am now close to getting the car in a near completed condition (fully painted on completed rolling chassis - electrics/trim etc to complete), I would like to get the registration process going now that the DVSA offices have re-opened. So can anyone help with the question above? If the car doesn't require an MOT (yes I will get one when car is complete, circa end of year), can I get the ex US car registered without an MOT?

Thank you

David

David

Thank you

David

Hi David,

My understanding is that if you are registering an imported vehicle that may or may not have been the subject of a restoration, it needs an MoT before you can apply for a number plate, etc. 

Rgds Ian

Thanks Ian, I think that's how I understand the DVSA website, but it doesn't seem to cover the change that has occurred with the no MOT requirement; I just wondered if anyone had crossed that bridge recently?

Rgds

David

I had to get my 1959 TR3a mot’d when I’d finished restoring it in 2014. Since then, I have had it mot’d annually for the satisfaction of knowing another pair of eyes have checked it over. Every year the guy who does the MoT points out that I don’t have to get it done.

Rgds Ian

The club has an expert who will be able to assist you in this process - have a look at the first few left-hand pages of TR Action.

Ian Cornish

perhaps the registration process uses the ~MOT system to verify the car is a  car as purported and not necessarily used as a roadworthy function.?