Opinions welcome o/d or non o/d

Hi all,

I have decided that I would like to add another car to my small collection and I have an obvious gap in so far as I don't have a small two seater convertible. After looking at various cars over the last couple of months I have concluded that this gap is best filled by a TR4.

Why a TR4? For me it looks the best, isn't a very common sight, has a well developed support network and is reasonable cost wise.

So to my question, is the overdrive gearbox worth it? I have looked at a couple of cars, one is really nice, well restored and ready to go, but a non overdrive car. The other isn't as nice in terms of finish, is an older restoration, but has the overdrive gearbox. I wont do many miles in the car and it will only be during the summer.

All other things being equal is there any collective wisdom on this point, or is it personal choice?

thanks

Ken

I would go overdrive every time - it makes longer distances much more bearable. I fitted one to my 3a and it transformed the car.

On the other hand, I would buy the best 4 I could regardless of O/D and then fit one later if I wanted it. Just take that cost into account (about £1600 to £1800 non-exchange for a recon box) plus fitting and switches/harness.

Ive owned two TR6s, one without and one with overdrive.

First car didnt have overdrive and it was great fun, apart from on the motorway or big a roads.

Current car has overdrive and is fun everywhere!

In addition to cruising at an indicated 80+ at 3000 revs, which it will do all day, using 3rd and switchingg in and out of overdrive on smaller roads is an unexpcted delight :-)

Overdrive wins hands down for me.

Steve

Ken

I would reinforce the sentiments posted above - overdrive every time BUT I also whole heartedly agree the Rhino Macs comment to get the best car in the first place and if it hasn't got overdrive, get it retro fitted and build the cost into your budget

You then also have the option of getting a known uprated box ( maybe Stag) with a higher ratio O/D - 28% or 25% over the standard 22% in a TR4

My 4 has a stag gearbox and 28% overdrive and mildly tuned torquey engine and it's an absolute joy!

You are welcome to come and try it when the weather is good if you are anywhere near Essex - whereabouts are you based ?

Cheers

Rich

Overdrive, whilst you have the choice. Makes driving on A and B roads better and makes motorways tolerable.

Overdrive every time.......but its an easy add on so as mentioned above I would buy the best car possible (at a lower price if it hasn't got overdrive) and add overdrive later.

+1

My first TR, a TR2 bought in 1962, didn't have overdrive. I decided that overdrive and disc brakes were a necessity, and in 1963, I bought a TR2 which had both these features - and then I had a real TR.

My TR4, bought in 1969, also has both, and I would never settle for less. However, buying the best car you can afford and getting overdrive added is a good idea, as long as it is possible to make this conversion (are parts available?).

BTW, the TR4 is the best model as it has all the desirable features (better weather equipment, R&P steering, face level ventilation etc), but not the problems which Triumph introduced with the IRS cars (lower torsional stiffness, weak mountings for suspension & differential, complications with all the extra joints in the drive train etc).

Ian Cornish

Overdrive every time although when they play up as mine is now it ca be fun and games;-)

Can't imagine a TR4A without one??

Best.

Paul.

Overdrive adds so much to driving a TR.

Well worth the extra bucks.

Try selling a TR without overdrive!

AlanR

My non overdrive TR4A sold for the asking price within two days of being advertised online

My non overdrive TR4A sold for the asking price within two days of being advertised online

My non-overdrive 6 also sold very easily.

So, find the best car you can and if it doesn’t have overdrive then fit one

Simples!

Steve

Hi Ken,

I originally bought a TR4 without overdrive. A few years ago I bought a refurbished O/D box and fitted it myself. Replacing the gearbox is a bit time consuming but not particularly difficult. It's a nice thing to have. On 60/70mph roads it drops the revs to make cruising a bit more comfortable. Flipping in and out of O/D 3rd is also useful when pottering through town at 30 mph.

As others have said, find the best car you can, with or without O/D. Fitting one later is perfectly do-able.

Steve