TR6 Blower (heater) fan testing?

Gents

My heater blower fan has never worked since I have owned my TR6.

It looked (initially) that the P.O. had neglected to connect the fan switch.

However, with the switch connected, the fan still does not run.

The wiring appears to be OK, and the resistance through the circuit changes as the switch is pulled out to position 1 then 2, suggesting the switch and motor wiring are OK?

If I connect up a battery charger for the green supply wire, and earth the black ring tag, the current goes to about 5 amps at position (speed) 1, then full scale (10 amps plus) at position (speed) 2.

But the fan does not turn.

Can I test it any other way?

Does this sound like a failed/seized fan??

Can I free it?

I currently have the H frame and seats out and gearbox cover removed (replacing with a f/glass one).

Is removing the heater assembly really the horror I have read about??

Thanks for any input!

John

I managed to remove the heater and reinstall it without removing the seats, h frame nor the gearbox tunnel. It was extremely tight but doable. Took a good few hours to do but I’d practised by watching a few contortionist moves on YouTube. As you have already removed all the stuff that will get in your way, I wouldn’t fear taking out the heater now if all else fails.

Cheers

Dave

Yes, 10 amps is way too high. The motor is probably stalled. Either the motor itself is seized, or some debris is keeping it from turning.

I don't think there is a way to get to the fan with the heater unit installed.

As a Hail Mary play, you might power it backwards (reverse polarity) momentarily to see if anything breaks loose. Do this with the battery disconnected from the rest of the car. I can't recall if the shell of the heater is grounded or not.

Ed

John,

removing the heater is not an issue. The heater will be taken out from the passenger side, one of the top 3 screws is a little hassle, you may need to take one of the 52mm instruments out. Take the heater apart, and also the motor. Be careful with taking the security clip from the motorfan. Clean it, maybe new wires and put a little grease on the bearings. Check the resistor. With a battery you can test the motor. There are 3 wires. Ground and two (one of them before and one after the resistor) for 12V.

Jochem

Gents

Does anyone know where I can/could get the motor repaired if it turns out to be faulty?

I recall seeing a stand at one of the trade shows for a supplier of various motors/repairs, but cannot find them anywhere??

Alternatively, does anyone have a spare used/working motor I could buy or (at least) temporarily substitute for test purposes??

Thanks!

John.

I believe I have a spare heater motor, used, but believed to be OK, will check it out later.

If it's OK it's yours for the postage.

Cheers

Bob.

OK, found it. testing on my bench it runs smoothly, so should be a goodun.

I will have a look at the brushes, give it a lube before sending

Here is a photo to confirm it is what you are looking for:

post-12009-0-69821200-1521277391_thumb.jpg

If correct PM me your address.

do you need the fan as well ?

Bob.