I am having difficulty accessing the mintylamb gearspeed calculator site

http://www.mintylamb.co.uk

Does anyone have a link that works?Alternatively if I replace my 155 15 XAS with 180 15 XAS what is the difference in speed at 5000rpm in top?I have a 3:7 to 1 axle

Any help appreciated.

Tom

Hi Tom

Minty lamb is no longer available. The chap who ran it had internet hosting problems I understand.

Many of the tyre comparison sites should give you what you need.

H

Hi Tom,

see Michelin website for outside diameter of the tyres - 630mm for the 155, 680mm for the 180

Link - http://classic.michelin.com/en/Classic-Tyre-range/XAS

Agreed gross diameter is not quite the same as twice net rolling radius, and the relationship does differ ever so slightly between different sizes of tyre, but the margin is small enough to be effectively irrelevant for your purposes, or so I'd suggest.

Cheers

Alec

Thank you everyone.Very helpful indeed.The two Michelin tyres are same profile.The bigger 180 15 is 2 kilos heavier and will propel the car 5.4 mph faster at the smaller tyres 90 mph.The actual width is 157mm for the 155 and 175 for the 180.I also compared the Avon CRZZ 175/70 profile tyre which is wider still at 182mm but actually has a smaller rolling radius than the smaller Michelin giving a speed of 89.3 mph at the 90 mph equivalent.It is also 3 kilos heavier than the 155 Michelin.I suspect for pure track or hillclimb use the Avon would be better(probably stickier) but not necessarily for road use and certainly not for wear. I am a loyal Michelin customer as in my professional career I found that they always had the best people and the greatest commitment to technological advance as well as the roundest highest quality tyres requiring lease balance weights etc. If I am to move up a size to 180s or the Avons then I will need 5.5 inch rims so total expense is significant. Again thanks for the help,greatly appreciated.

Hi Tom.

I'm working from memory here but I didn't think Michelin ever made a 155 15 XAS.

Anyhow as regards diamensions, 155 15 has a revs per mile of 834.

IF you are looking at 180 15 XAS, which Michelin did make, think that was a dedicated Citroen Tyre, then teh revs per mile is 781.

John.

I have an Excel spreadsheet that does the job. It came from an American website.

I am not able to add it to this post some reason. If anyone wants a copy please PM me with your email address and I will send it to them.

Peter W

PS The htm file I have added did not work.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT