TR5 Radiator Cowls

Hi everyone

I understand TR5 radiator cowls were never fitted from new - was there a reason for this as the under bonnet view without one looks very unfinished, in my opinion? Also, I am not aware that these are currently available as an aftermarket addition.

A number of local members with TR5s have remarked on the alloy cowl on my TR4, and intimated they would like one - it doesn't look that difficult to modify a TR4 one to fit, but I wonder if there is a pent up demand amongst TR5 ( and TR250 ) members for these and whether it would be worth making them officially, rather than modifying an existing piece of kit .

Another one of my hair brained ideas - I wait with baited breath to be shot down but that's exactly why I've posted this, so don't hold back!

Cheers

Rich

There's this, although it may need modification for the cold air inlet. He offers a TR6 one adapted for his cold air system so he could probably do the same with the 250 part.

http://goodparts.com/shop/index.php?productID=475

Though technically, the TR5 did have small cardboard shrouds on the sides of the radiator to at least direct some airflow thru the radiator. But hardly noticeable so not much for under hood aesthetics.

Hi Rich

I think their is a demand, but I'm biased. I've made one up from a TR4a for the 5, that I've nearly finished. Have a look at my blog - chapter 12 - near the bottom.

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/rebuilders-diary/2018/03/0118/TR5-Patience-Rebuild-Chapter-12-April-2017-to-June-2017

Best Bill

Hi Rich

I agree with you about the 5 looking very unfinished so I bought a cowl like this, Not to blingy just does the job.

post-6034-0-48524700-1520621746_thumb.jpg post-6034-0-88433200-1520621788_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Dave.

Bill/Dave - thanks for your speedy responses.

I take it you both started with a TR4 cowl and cut the main part of the offside out of it to fit around the air cleaner - your solutions look almost identical.

Not too difficult by the look of it - I imagine it is also shorter in depth ( front to back ) because of the longer engine/further forward radiator.

Food for thought

cheers

Rich

Tr5 did have a single cowl on the near side that went from the inner wheel arch to the radiator fixed to the radiator only with 3 clips , a tr250 had a pair , I have patterns if anybody wishes to make them.

Graham

Bill/Dave - thanks for your speedy responses.

I take it you both started with a TR4 cowl and cut the main part of the offside out of it to fit around the air cleaner - your solutions look almost identical.

Not too difficult by the look of it - I imagine it is also shorter in depth ( front to back ) because of the longer engine/further forward radiator.

Food for thought

cheers

Rich

Hi Rich

Yes your'e spot on and yes it is shorter (front to back and I've left a small gap for better air circulation). To make the cuts, I first used some thickish cardboard for a template. Then put the template over the cowling and marked up with a felt tip and tape. That took a few attempts to get right. The cutting was tricky, as it's difficult to hold it whilst cutting due to it's awkward shape. You need someone else to hold it for you for some of the cuts. I used an electric nose paper grinder for the tricky bits, wrong name for it, but one those hand held long nose paper sanders, and a jigsaw with a fine blade. Then used some rubber edging. to finish. I've also cut the nearside, bottom to go around the oil cooler pipes. All very time consuming, but I think it tidies up the engine bay nicely and well worth doing. Would be good to get one with a TR5 motif in the middle, but heh ho.

best Bill

• 3 months later...

Well in case anyone is interested, TR5 radiator cowls are just about to become available following successful fitting of a prototype - I understand they will shortly be available on ebay from the manufacturer ( see https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR4A-polished-stainless-radiator-cowl/253728179901?hash=item3b1360c6bd:g:NcQAAOSw1u5bJS0P for similar examples )

Ultimately there will be black powder coated alloy versions and polished Stainless Steel ones, with or without TR5 laser cut logos on their tops, but initially the first batch is going to be black powder coated ones with no logo - I understand prices will be similar to the other models on ebay ( ie round about the £50 mark, but it would interesting to know from anybody considering having one which version they would prefer. Either comment on here or PM me.

Just to be clear, I have helped Tony Dunn ( the manufacturer) make this new cowl because of requests from fellow local club members and he is happy to give me some discount to reflect my input , but other than that I have no other connection .

Look forward to forumites' responses

Cheers

Rich

Hi Rich

I agree with you about the 5 looking very unfinished so I bought a cowl like this, Not to blingy just does the job.

attachicon.giflam540.JPG attachicon.giflam520.JPG

Cheers

Dave.

I have the same

The factory side cards do the job just fine on my Webered '250s, and I'm happy to have air get round them to cool the manifolds. I'm not sure it's necessary to fit anything as the front openings direct lots of air to the radiator anyway.

Cheers,

Tom