why can A-Type be engaged in reverse

Hi Alf,

you can get a 5/8 x 13tpi tap made but it does not exist as a standard thread form (anywhere in the known or unknown Universe).

The 16mm x 2mm fits OK.

Roger

Oh yes it does, I have one here, bought off Ebay a few years ago. It therefore follows it cant be the only one.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

this is all very fascinating.

I have a listing of all the thread forms used - tiny little threads with 400tpi up to 6" threads with just a few TPI

It is not 100% comprehensive but covers a great deal and that bl**dy 5/8 x 13 isn't there.

So what is it.

Why make a special when money is tight.

Roger

Hi Stuart,

this is all very fascinating.

I have a listing of all the thread forms used - tiny little threads with 400tpi up to 6" threads with just a few TPI

It is not 100% comprehensive but covers a great deal and that bl**dy 5/8 x 13 isn't there.

So what is it.

Why make a special when money is tight.

Roger

Maybe to try to make the thread form closer to that of the switch so its more oil tight.

Stuart.

Maybe to try to make the thread form closer to that of the switch so its more oil tight.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

yes I can see that but why did the original switch manufacturers use an odd thread.

5/8BSF is 14 tpi and if there is a French connection then M16 is 12.7tpi

Very odd indeed. It is interesting how they pop up on ebay now and then.

Roger

13 TPI equates to 0.07692" each, which number is different from 2mm by....0.002"! The same discrepancy holds for 5/8" and 16mm. For a short run of thread like these switches employ they ought to be functionally equivalent. Perhaps the taps could pass for each other as well... :unsure: .

Cheers,

Tom