I ordered an oil pump from a respected supplier, Chris Witor.

Before ordering, after reading the horror stories on this forum, I asked him how the internal tolerances were and Chris indicated much better than in the past, so I ordered one and when it arrived, it came with some very handfull instructions how to fit, very good!

I then checked the internal tolerances and they were all within the specifications in the WSM. Happy me.

But on further inspection, I noticed the shaft was some 2 mm shorter than my old one. The result is the peg is not properly nested in the drive shaft (the old one was fully engaged).

So I contacted Chris and asked if it is possible to use a press and push the shaft a bit further, which is what I plan to do.

So....

Am I disappointed with the quality of this pump? YES.

Although much better then reported in the past, It could have failed if simply installed as is due to fatigue, as happened to someone else.

Am I disappointed in the supplier? NO.

It would go beyond reasonable effort if our supplier would have to check all the pumps and still offer them for a relatively low price. Probably double the price.

Am I satisfied with his response: YES, very much.

Am I disappointed in the manufacturer? YES.

The manufacturer should have a proper QA and QC program to avoid (or minimize) errors like this.

Lesson learnt:

Check your components before installation, both new and re-used. Do not assume they are ok.

Regards,

Waldi

Count yourself lucky that you found the issue before fitting.

Bought an Essex V6 oil pump from a well known supplier for an Scimitar engine rebuild, everything looked fine and bolted it all up. I brought up the oil pressure by drill and felt it labouring before the filter seal blew, refitted the seal and tightened filter a bit more.

Got myself a decent pressure gauge and tried again, same story, I now know that oil filter seals are good to 130psi.

An Essex guru in Wolver'ton knew the problem (he'd got 300psi out of one), postage there and back cost nearly the same as the new pump and ............it made no differance.

So I started investigating and in doing so got covered in oil (numerous times) doing my research, I had to drop the sump after each trial. Pressure relief valve consists of three parts, plunger, cap and spring, so I alternated which part I used from the old and the new.

Turned out the spring was the culprit, so I used the old spring in my new pump and it's working away giving 75psi max.

I agree with Waldi, never assume it will work straight out of the box.

What is it about oil pumps?? We rebuild our engines thinking it's best to fit a brand new heart/oil pump and find what's on offer today just isn't right.

That said, Chris Witor has an excellent reputation, including his oil pumps.

When I rebuilt my GT6 engine after 110k miles, the original pump was still well within specification, so I put it back. The oil pressure is comfortably in specification.

The problem with excess pressure from new Essex V6 pumps has been a topic on the Scimitar forum. I took the pump out of my Scimitar and inspected it after 80k miles. It looked brand new, end float will in spec, so back it went. Oil pressure is where it should be.

Piston rings and bearing shells may need replacing occasionally but in my experience, oil pumps last longer.

Nigel