TR2 Brakes master cylinder pushrod clevis pins

I cannot find the brake master cylinder pushrod clevis pins for my restoration long door TR2 so am looking for new ones.

The original pushrods and forks are in very good condition.

The holes in the fork are 5/16" on one side and 3/8" on the other. The holes are not threaded.

The Moss site says they don't have the original items, their solution is either new pushrods with straight 5/16" holes and 5/16" clevis pin, or alternatively an amalgam of the clutch and brake pushrods with a screw in clevis pin. Rimmers note the 5/16" clevis pin is as per original.

Does anybody know what the original clevis pin looks like and where they might be found?

You will find the 3/8" side does have a slight thread in it . The original pins screwed in,.Moss were doing new clevis complete with pin a while ago.

Stuart

Sorry but I'm useless with Imperial, I've got a couple of new spares which I'm pretty sure are for the brake/clutch on my 59 3a; the holes on mine are approx 6mm (threaded) on one side and 11mm on the other. I've also got the Threaded Clevis pin & spring.

PM me if you think they may be of any use to you.

Graeme

Rimmers seem to do a number of Triumph clevis pins

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID201008

Clutch master 216421A and Brake CLZ516 1" x 5/16"

Bob

Its the threaded ones needed for this application. 16/17/18/19 on here https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/brake-system/brake-controls-hydraulics/brake-hydraulics-tr2-4a.html

Stuart.

As the image on the Moss site shews the TR2 with Lockheed master cyl originally had non adjustable push rods.

If you have none or cannot afford the 100 plus pounds for a replacement pair (as listed by Moss) you should use the adjustable Girling push rod and fork end (items 20-24) costing 36 pounds the pair. This was a suggestion I put in the catalogue when writing it back in the 1980's.

Alternatively, as you live in Oz, go to your local Repco store and get them to earn their money.....The fork end/pushrod and clevis for the Girling set up is also used on Land Rover Series 1/2/3 brakes. see ebay link in thread 3 above.

Peter W

Sorry but I'm useless with Imperial, I've got a couple of new spares which I'm pretty sure are for the brake/clutch on my 59 3a; the holes on mine are approx 6mm (threaded) on one side and 11mm on the other. I've also got the Threaded Clevis pin & spring.

PM me if you think they may be of any use to you.

Graeme

Mine are about 8mm one side and 9.5mm the threaded side. Yours sound about the same dimensions as the clutch slave cyl fork, which I haven't measured but the holes on the clutch fork thread side are much bigger then the non threaded side.

Not sure if these pics help.

I found them on an eBay listing for brake/clutch fork Clevis pins

I dont know the size. But it may help illustrate the threaded end. Etc

post-14544-0-71395600-1520406553_thumb.jpeg

post-14544-0-46419000-1520406562_thumb.jpeg

You will find the 3/8" side does have a slight thread in it . The original pins screwed in,.Moss were doing new clevis complete with pin a while ago.

Stuart

Just checked closely and these ones do not have a thread. It has either been drilled out or was never there, I don't know which but as it is a 3/8" hole exactly I suspect it never had a thread.

i have just googled TR2 engine bay images. You can't tell whether they are original cars but I can't find one image with screw in clevis pins on the master cyl pushrods. There are images of pins with split pins.

Still searching for the right answer.

Edited by John McCormack

Thanks Stuart. Do you have any photos of the screw in clevis pin on the TR2? I haven't found any, just clevis pins with a split pin.

I have two TR2s, one for 42 years. I have never seen screw in clevis pins on the master cylinder pushrods. I would really like to get some original photos, my books aren't clear on the issue.

Thanks Stuart. Do you have any photos of the screw in clevis pin on the TR2? I haven't found any, just clevis pins with a split pin.

I have two TR2s, one for 42 years. I have never seen screw in clevis pins on the master cylinder pushrods. I would really like to get some original photos, my books aren't clear on the issue.

see above - Thread 10

see above - Thread 10

Thank you. I have never seen those clevis pins on a TR2 master cylinder in 42 years of TR2 ownership and 40 years in the TR Register Australia. They are on the clutch slave cylinder shaft on all TRs I have seen so it doesn't seem right I can't find aren't any images of them on the TR2 or early TR3 master cylinder.

They may be the original fit but if someone has a photo of them on an original car it would be great confirmation.

The car I am building is intended to be a Concours standard car so I need to get these details right, as best I can.

Not a very clear picture but this TR2 is very original as far as I can tell.

Stuart.

post-3753-0-77320900-1520419995_thumb.jpg

Not a very clear picture but this TR2 is very original as far as I can tell.

Stuart.

attachicon.gifIMG_2493.jpg

Thank you Stuart, that is the sort of photo I am after.

They look to me to be screw in clevis pins as there isn't a split pin on the inner end of either. I will need to get some of these clevis pins and get a thread in the large hole of my pushrods forks.

Thank you Stuart, that is the sort of photo I am after.

They look to me to be screw in clevis pins as there isn't a split pin on the inner end of either. I will need to get some of these clevis pins and get a thread in the large hole of my pushrods forks.

I have just had a check done by a car restoration shop on the original TR2 Parts Book. It lists a straight 5/16" clevis pin listed as standard. There is not an option for a threaded clevis pin.

The restorer who did the check tells me that other cars, maybe including the MGA, had the same Lockheed master cylinder and may have had screw in clevis pins.

I am back to using the standard pushrod, fork and 5/16" clevis pin.

The holes on the push rods of my very early 56 TR3 had unthreaded holes of different diameters. I was unable to find any clevis pins from the usual sources to fit properly. I ended up buying some SS clevis pins and had them machined at a local shop to the correct stepped diameters. You are not the first to run into this issue. I was involved in a discussion on another forum about this very issue. Hope this Google picture link works.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/OjNhSJ0u1Tnw5UMy2

Cheers, Mike

Edited by Mike Graham

The holes on the push rods of my very early 56 TR3 had unthreaded holes of different diameters. I was unable to find any clevis pins from the usual sources to fit properly. I ended up buying some SS clevis pins and had them machined at a local shop to the correct stepped diameters. You are not the first to run into this issue. I was involved in a discussion on another forum about this very issue. Hope this Google picture link works.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/OjNhSJ0u1Tnw5UMy2

Cheers, Mike

Thanks Mike. I noted above the original TR2 parts manual does not show a screw in clevis pin. I subsequently spoke with Viv Paine who confirms that TR2s, probably all Lockheed braked cars, did not have screw in clevis pins. The book shows a straight 5'16" pin but my other TR2, your car and this one have forks with different sized holes for a stepped clevis pin.

As with many details on these cars there were different bits fitted to cars, I suppose depending on what happened to be in stock.

I may have to take your path and get some 3/8" clevis pins turned down.