It must be over 5 years since I bought a vent rubber seal for my TR4.

Now recommissioning an early TR6 with a vent lid I needed another one.

It was just the same as the last one, vent lid will not close after fitting the seal, and poor fitting.

Its a small item but by the time you have tried to alter it to fit a little better its double ducked so no return possible.

Oh the joys of TRing.

Edited by pfenlon

Hi Pete ~

You're quite right. When I fitted a replacement vent rubber seal it was nothing short of RUBBISH!

Then, that's all we British enthusiasts can expect ~

It's a choice of Black, White or nothing!!

How I envy our American friends!

Tom.

I had the same problem with the vent seal when rebuilding my TR6 in 1999/2000, the vent lid just wouldn't sit down properly and the seal from memory seemed to be too short and wouldn't stay located on the vent perimeter upstand.

A pity that, 18/19 years later, the problem is still not sorted out.

It was a race car so I eventually just took the seal off and made do without it. Not practical for a road car.

If anyone knows of a supplier whose item fits I'd be interested as I'm currently rebuilding another TR6 road car.

Dave McD

The problem lays more with the operating rod which should be spring loaded to allow constant pressure on the rubber seal when the flap is closed. Once that bit is solved then the seal will bed in

I had the same problem so used some R10 rubber extrusion from Woolies. Page 19 of their catalogue. Allows the vent lid to sit flush and seems to seal fine.

Alan.

Same problem when putting my TR6 back together about 6 years ago. Tried gluing the new seal down but it keeps lifting and the vent flap never sits completely flat when closed. Grrrr!

Nigel