TR4A Radiator Expansion Bottle Fitting Arrangment

Has anybody got some photos of the exact location and fitting arrangement for the bracket shown below which secures the expansion bottle alongside the radiator on the offside.

I believe the mounting hole fits under the radiator mounting bolt, but which way up does it go? Same as photo or other way up?

I have approached 3 local members with 4As, two of whom don't have one fitted at all (!!) and a third who has this area in peices and seems to think the bracket below is upside down in the photo and fits the other way up.

I haven't got any bits on the car yet, and other cars I have access to all have this part missing, but having trial fitted a rad cowl, the bottle/bracket arrangement is so close to the cowl that it would be impossible to get the bottle in apart from pushing it up from underneath, and then that would make screwing the top on fairly difficult - is this how it is supposed to go ?

I have searched the internet and members restoration blogs but just can't find a definitive photo.

Any help much appreciated as always

Cheers

Rich

post-10723-0-32876000-1520162065_thumb.jpg

Hi Rich,

I would agree that your pic is upside down. I have mine attached to the body mounting bolt (mine is a stud) .

The radiator attachment bolt is shrouded by stiffening fins and would make fitting the bottle bracket awkward.

I'll try and get a pic later on

Roger

Hi Rich

I have taken a couple of not very good pics of mine fitted with a stainless rad cowl and the bracket is up the other way from your pic. Not sure if mine is correct but it works and it is accessible.

Paul

Edited by Paul J

Hi Rich,

agree, the bracket, pictured is upside down, ... my one fits on the lower rad mount bolt, ..... I have the cardboard cowl and the majority of the bottle sits below the bottom edge, however the pipe and lid, compared to Paul's above, are inside the cowl, access means just lightly bending the cardboard out of the way, though I haven't had to look inside the overflow bottle for years.

Cheers Rob

My TR4A came also without bottle, that's no problem at all with a little more air / less water in the radiator.

I fitted a bottle and a bracket anyway, but my bracket looks different: with 2 drills to be bolt to 2 corrospending drills on the car body.

Ciao Marco

My TR4A came also without bottle, that's no problem at all with a little more air / less water in the radiator.

I fitted a bottle and a bracket anyway, but my bracket looks different: with 2 drills to be bolt to 2 corrospending drills on the car body.

Ciao Marco

Hi Marco,

I believe that the bracket with two holes is for a TR5/250 or TR6.

Cheers

Graeme

This is how the bracket is mounted on my 4, figured it would be easier to see how its fixed without the bottle

..... Andy

post-13122-0-28596800-1520195556_thumb.jpeg

Edited by AndyR100

On my TR4A's body I found 2 slotted drills on top of each other in 20 - 30 mm distance;

I usesd the bracked Andy shows, not using the top drill of the bracket but set a second one

on top of the lower drill on to fit both drills on the car body.

But indeed it seems to be correct:

this is for TR5-6, but fitts with little modification on the bracket to my TR4A.

Edited by Z320

Mine is the same as Roger's - bolted to the n/s inner wing. It is shown in the Rimmer catalogue, Item 86 page 40. However, this is described as a replacement item. Also shown is item 85, as your photograph and described as original. It states that this fits to the radiator mounting bolt. It is shown with the mounting bracket facing downwards.

Geoff

Photo shows and interesting filler plate to stop splashing up the front of the wheel arch?

or does it do some other wheeze?

MichaelH

Hi Michael,

I keep spare oil/water etc etc there. Has no effect on cooling/heating.

Roger