TR6 50th anniversary. Will there be an event

Surely the minimum we should do is try and get 50 TR6's in a line somewhere.

Could probably get some event sorted at Gaydon!

Could probably get some event sorted at Gaydon!

I suppose if it’s a 1 Day Event Gaydon would suffice but if it’s to be a Weekend Celebration then Camping Facilities would be required and I don’t think Gaydon do Camping.

Hi all,

Some very sad posts and views living on this thread [#6,#9,#10 for example]. Incredibly demoralising for staff and volunteers alike who work their socks off to come up with ideas and activities for the club and I struggle to understand where such negative views spring from, but nevertheless.

After looking back into TR Register history last year, I discovered that right from the very first celebration of 10 years in 1979, the club has always celebrated the UK launch in 1969. So there is no real reason to change that pattern. This view was confirmed by my conversation with Derek, (Saffron TR6 on here) who is our TR6 registrar, a few weeks ago.

The TR6 anniversary has been foremost in our discussions and wherever the 2019 TR International Weekend will be (we hope Shelsley Walsh) - the TR6 anniversary will be the central focus of it. We will have a LOT of space to work with.

There are also plans to host a day seminar with a key figure from the TR6's motorsport success and I have my own personal ambitions of seeing a '6 Counties Run' in celebration as well.

In addition, there are probably enough TR6s in the club to warrant an additional day event - Gaydon would be a good venue potentially, hence our trial run with the regional day this May!

Then of course we have the themed displays and celebrations in the full light of the public gaze at the NEC / Excel classic motor shows. Having slogged away at these for various other anniversaries over the years, I have a good idea of what we might be able to do there. We won the Classic and Sportscar award for Best Themed Stand when we celebrated the first TR in 2013 remember?

A track parade at Silverstone Classic should also be on the cards, but we need to get 2018's event done first.

So, in short, of course the TR Register will be celebrating the TR6 anniversary! We would welcome suggestions from the TR6 owning members as to what you would like to see and even more crucially, volunteers to help make those exciting plans happen. Perhaps a sub-committee of TR6 owners grouped together to share the load?

This is your club, so you can make these things happen. The management team, myself and the club staff are always listening and always open to ideas and suggestions..... especially if they come complete with the offer of a little help to get things moving. :)

Well said Wayne,

and I'd confirm that all the TRR past celebrations for the TR6 that I can recall related to 1969, and not 1968.

So fine, 1968 for one side of The Pond, and 1969 for t'other . . . . . makes good logical sense to my way of thinking.

Meanwhile, keep up the good work planning the events.

Cheers

Alec

Wayne,

Not sure I quite understand your tone. I don't really think people were tearing a strip of the register.. More that in the absence of any info we were exploring what could be done... In some ways what people were expressing is their love for their cars and enthusiasm to celebrate a significant birthday.. well at least that was what I was expressing..

Of course we appreciate the work you guys put in. We'd be mad not to..

Sorry if it didn't seem like that..

Roll on the birthday.. cake in the shape of a TR6?

Cheers

Tim

Tim,

Here's a photo of the cake at the 40th so can we improve on it next year? Incidentally the USA announcement of the TR6 was also in 1969 and according to Mike Cooke it took place in January in Chicago at a Dealer presentation where it received rave reviews followed by the announcement to the public at the Chicago Automobile Show in March.

cheers

Derek

post-1290-0-15815500-1520280723_thumb.jpg

Wayne

More the lack of facilities at Shelsey . ok for a 1 day event but not suitable for what most consider to be our showcase event which is the international weekend , unlike other previous weekends it is situated quite a way from any major town so makes limited opportunities for the ladies that may wish to stay at the hotel and possibly go shopping or do something else whilst the boys play cars !,,

Just my option

Graham

Rest assured that the TR6 will get its place in the sun and its 'birthday - whichever day that is ! -' will be celebrated by the club. As for getting 50 TR6's together, well I hope we can do better than that chaps. its got to be a celebration - not a wake! So as Wayne says, lets have those ideas for SIX appeal coming forward from the grass roots of the club.

hoges.

PS. I've only just sold my TR6 so it look like I will have to get another one!