Not a TR, but I'm looking for my old...

....1956 Hi-Line Ford Consul XAE522.

I ran the car as Winter transport (The TR2 in the Summer) whilst a student.

I sold the car in a good "almost finished" restored state around about 1988/89.

I've had a lead from a Facebook group that it may have belonged to a Gary Walters from Potters Bar/Enfield in the 1990's. I know this is a longshot - but does anyone know of, and/or have any contact info for, Gary through membership of other classic car clubs etc?

I'm told that he, and I believe the car, used to attend car meetings at the Jolly Farmers pub in Enfield.

post-4992-0-44453100-1519848712_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rod1883

Hi Rod

Luckily the vehicle still appears on the DVLA register, though tax expired in June 1999. This doesn't mean unfortunately that it's still around.

I haven't seen one of these on the road for a while but they are a lovely classic and I hope you can trace it. My uncle had the earlier squarer Zephyr, though he carried out unorthodox DIY maintenance. I remember as a young boy when he had the bonnet up one day, I noticed the inner wing strut top had rusted away, and he'd tied the strut to the inner wing with thick rope.

Thankfully he never went into the motor trade. Good luck with your search. I take it you've tried Ford owners resources?

Regards

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits

Thanks Kevin

Yes, the Facebook group is a Ford MKII thing, and I've posted on the owners club forum - although the traffic there is very light compared to here. I did email the MKII club sec a while back - the last club member owner was me!

I also wrote to DVLA a while ago, but unless you are lucky and the request lands with a sympathetic staff member, their standard response is that they don't release details of current owners/keepers.

Thanks Kevin

Yes, the Facebook group is a Ford MKII thing, and I've posted on the owners club forum - although the traffic there is very light compared to here. I did email the MKII club sec a while back - the last club member owner was me!

I also wrote to DVLA a while ago, but unless you are lucky and the request lands with a sympathetic staff member, their standard response is that they don't release details of current owners/keepers.

Quite, the DVLA don't understand the needs of the classic car community at all, and recently they've got even worse. I doubt they know the meaning of the word sympathy.

As far as the rules go there is no distinction between classic cars and modern day vehicles to them unfortunately. They won't even offer to send a letter of enquiry to a former owner on your behalf and without disclosing identity even for fee, but when it comes to making money they are quite happy to sell off old registrations for profit!

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits

Yes, it's frustrating.

I wrote explaining my previous ownership, mentioned I have pictures and a few original parts from the car, provided a covering letter and a stamped envelope to send on to the new keeper, plus a SAE for the current keeper to reply to me if he wished, but DVLA just sent it all back.

They are quick to provide info to scam parking companies though (perhaps I should create some fake parking company headed note paper and try again :ph34r:)