Any Legal Lads or Lasses out there? Or Sailors.

I'm involved with old (ex) wooden fishing boats from Brittany. I have a Cutter from Carantec built in 1937 and have traced all 6 of its previous owners. Also skipper Sinagots here in the Golfe du Morbihan. Plenty on Google if you want to know more

James

Sailing is my passion !

Amita lives in Denia these days so we frequently fly down for the weekend and longer trips.

Have a search on here for the ‘Amitas new sails’ thread if you like Carbon ..... :-)

Whereabouts are you and what type of sailing do you enjoy?

Steve

Hi, thanks for interesting replies - be good to share a photo of yours.... dontcha just get cabin fever stuck indoors in this weather?! :angry:

I do like the older traditional boats but I can't find the time to do all the maintenance and varnishing etc. but for me many new glassfibre boats are a little soul less, so prefer a classic shape but in modern materials.

"X46 in Denia".......... You can go off some people you know ! !

I've sailed since I was about 8 for many years in dinghies and drifted into crewing others yachts but work is the curse of the sailing classes!!

I guess from a young age I had always liked TR's and I suppose it is the same with sailing but just as TR's have something special about them then I think so do certain classic sailing yachts.

Question: so what modern yacht do you think might be a future classic?

Heres a view down from the top of Amitas mast, some 23m up !

Many modern sailing boats have lost style and performance in the pursuit of interior space, i think driven by the charter market mainly.

Also, i dont like the huge hull windows on a lot of the latest designs, they do make for an airy interior but make a yacht look like a caravan !

Amita is a good balance of luxury and style/speed, i wouldnt go as far as a future classic, will ket the future decide that!

Steve

post-9473-0-21153300-1519996042_thumb.jpeg

Hmmm, that's some quality live aboard, with a 'steering wheel' too as well as his n hers showers and central heating/air conditioning - it must be a tough life.....

I agree with the large 'windows' effect making yachts looks rather 'dumpy'.

post-8406-0-12260200-1520205914_thumb.jpg

Mine is more of a 'bucket and chuck it' ! But you can see what I mean about 'classic' lines even though it is fibreglass. Lovely to sail to though, especially in good weather.

Hmmm, that's some quality live aboard, with a 'steering wheel' too as well as his n hers showers and central heating/air conditioning - it must be a tough life.....

attachicon.gifP1090338.JPG

Mine is more of a 'bucket and chuck it' ! But you can see what I mean about 'classic' lines even though it is fibreglass. Lovely to sail to though, especially in good weather.

That's an awfully tall funnel for a yacht !!! :blink:

Roger

attachicon.gifP1090338.JPG

Looks like a mini J C!ass.

Rgds Ian

Saggy

Sailing has always been a passion and still is.

Loads of International 505, RYA Racing Coach, numerous dinghies, X99 for a while but now crewing a South Coast One Design (SCOD) on the Solent, something a bit more your style I think. Absolute bandit on handicap in the right conditions, photo of Firecracker passing St Cats in last year’s Round The Island

post-12767-0-77367000-1520867508_thumb.jpg

Modern classic? A modern boat but with a classic look? A very pretty boat from La Rochelle, Tofinou 8

post-12767-0-78938700-1520867554_thumb.jpg

Regards

Phil

Hi all,

Roger - yeah some funnel and in the background you can see my fuel tanks :D

Ian - sadly not a J class, but Paul you are right it is a Dragon.

I have in the past thought of SCOD, 22 Square Metres or International One Designs of which there are several down in St Mawes (the place where they put the jam on the scones before the cream!)

Someone once said of the Dragon 'she is a fabulous mistress and should you ever have the chance then you should marry her'. But at the moment I am pimping her in the hope that one or two others might appear to race against.

Roll on Easter. Rain or shine, I'll untie her and give her a good thrashing - Hmmm ! !

Hi all,

Roger - yeah some funnel and in the background you can see my fuel tanks :D

Ian - sadly not a J class, but Paul you are right it is a Dragon.

I have in the past thought of SCOD, 22 Square Metres or International One Designs of which there are several down in St Mawes (the place where they put the jam on the scones before the cream!)

Someone once said of the Dragon 'she is a fabulous mistress and should you ever have the chance then you should marry her'. But at the moment I am pimping her in the hope that one or two others might appear to race against.

Roll on Easter. Rain or shine, I'll untie her and give her a good thrashing - Hmmm ! !

Next time you are headed to St Mawes drop by for a cuppa we are on the way.

Stuart.